Going Legal in PA

Don't mean to rain on the parade but, ITS NOT LEGAL AT ALL in PA. Just because your local police said it was, that is their factor, but they are not going by the laws on the state. NEEDS REGISTERED, NEEDS INSURED, NEEDS TITLED if any item is motorised sorry but i can tell anyone from expireince.

Don't mean to rain on the parade but, ITS NOT LEGAL AT ALL in PA. Just because your local police said it was, that is their factor, but they are not going by the laws on the state. NEEDS REGISTERED, NEEDS INSURED, NEEDS TITLED if any item is motorised sorry but i can tell anyone from expireince.

The PA Moped Fact sheet states that motorized pedalcycles need to be registered, insured, etc., however, the fact sheet is not what the police use when determining whether to write a ticket or not. I have been spending some time going through Title 75 of the PA Vehicle code to try to understand how the law is written. Here are some interesting things I found out.

In Chapter 11 of Title 75, it states:

Sec. 1102. Vehicles not requiring certificate of title.
No certificate of title is required for:
(2) A golf cart, motor-driven cycle, go-cart or other
similar vehicle unless it is registered in this Commonwealth.

Link

In Section 01 of Chapter 13, it states:
(c) Certificate of title prerequisite to registration.--No
vehicle shall be registered unless a certificate of title has
been applied for or issued if one is required by Chapter 11
(relating to certificate of title and security interests).

Link

In Chapter 11, it states that a title isn't required for a motor-driven cycle or similar and Chapter 13 states that a no vehicle shall be reigstered if it doesn't have a title.

I'm still looking for clarification from the PA DMV and from my state senator. I have written both, received replies from both, however, the replies were ambiguous (at best).

If I receive any more useful information, I'll post it to this thread.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
This is of extreme interest to me.
I imagine somewhere else in the code it must say that those vehicles can't be drive on roads- right? There's also some place that discerns between 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles of this kind.

My engine kit just arrived via FedEx today. I can't wait to start messing with it. I am, however, waiting for a Sun Rhyno rim (not Rhyno Lite) to arrive in the mail. I wanted the beefiest rear I could find.
My biggest question for going legal in PA is the brake light. I already bought a brake lever with a switch in it, but I don't know If I should go battery or what? Are we able to take some juice off the motor for a brake light without killing the engine?

the best battery to light any light is this 12 volt battery from cabalas... i used it on my bike... i put it in a ammo box on my rack and wired my head light and tails lights to it. Here is a "how to" for the best head light set up and you can use the same cabelas battery for powering the front light and power the tail light.

Battery
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

How to
http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-peasy-bolt-on-halogen-bike-light/

Thanks for the advice Scribbles. I already have a regular 12v trickle charger. That is a much more economical setup than most. I think I'll try it.

I am going to take their ambiguity as being not interested enough to care, and keep a low profile around cops and in light traffic. I do know how PA likes to attach fees and regulate everything (I grew up in California went to high school and college in Kansas so I am used to being able to buy booze in a gas station and lax law enforcement.)

nurse asked -- how do you know doctor ?

"SUPER HILARIOUS" since one of the cops at my college is a strict butt hole... :D

do you ever wonder
are some of those pooolice just born that way ?

the doctor was delivering a baby
he picked the little sweet one up by his legs
spun him around so as to spank and inspect his rear end
said to the nurses
this little guy is going to be a pooolice officer
one nurse asked -- how do you know that doctor
the doctor said -- "little guy has what looks to be a strict butt hole"

ride that thing

i think some on should make a complete list and how to for making your bike legal...at least in PA. then sell it as a kit. i would buy one (hint hint).

Back