Going off the derp end.

LewieBike

Local time
8:26 PM
I swear, my wife's Amazon prime account is going to get me in trouble. There's this sweet little 140cc Coolster pitbike for less than a grand,

71SxUgUx0dL._SL1200_.jpg

...and I have this idea of a winter project making it into a street legal mini DS or completely gutting out the frame and repurposing the whole of the bike on a bigger, older Honda tiddler like an old CL70.

Yeah I know, not at all motorized bike oriented.

I have the smaller displacement 125cc Coolster crate engine running in my old Honda C-102..
honda1-jpg.1921965

and I really like this engine, it's been a solid little runner for over 17,000 miles. Been riding it since spring of 2013.

The Coolster 140 has a bigger, high compression big valve pitbike engine with primary kickstart, ( which means there's no need to fish for neutral to kickstart, just pull in clutch and kick..) about 14 h.p. stock and a really necessary oil cooler. And the bike comes with full disk brakes, inverted alloy front forks, longer rear fork, bash plate and a 1.4 gallon tank. The frame is mild steel so it could be cut and rewelded as a bigger bike while keeping the low standover height and light engine.

I'm getting dizzy with anticipation, I want to make a light little kickass street-trail bike.

there fun bikes, my friend bought a ssr 140 when we were at haydays (paid around $1200 for his)
its fast! it feels like a 3/4 sized dirt bike (not as small as the 125 but not as big as a honda 230)
i like the way it rides personally, but if you want a street bike then i would get a bigger front sprocket, and change over the tires (there ment for trail riding, and there not that great onroad imho)

id just keep it as a cheap offroad thrasher. becuase by the time you get it street legal, it would of cost you more than a used sport bike (ninja 300, honda grom, susuki tu250, etc.)

just my opinion, you do you!

Above bike looks like a honda cub 125cc. Most produced bike on the planet. Cool hood ride but a real 1 costs about 4k, insane price but they last forever.

Above bike looks like a honda cub 125cc. Most produced bike on the planet. Cool hood ride but a real 1 costs about 4k, insane price but they last forever.

It's a 1969 Honda C-102, the last year of the iron barrel and head, pushrod 50cc engine with electric start. The stock engine is quite worn out.

Back in the 1980's~90's you could pick up a used Honda Cub C-100 for less than $100 dollars. I bought a ratty, ancient Yamaha stepthrough MF-1 at a garage sale for $70. If you can find an older C-70 Passport or Trail 50 with a dead engine you can *easily* swap in a 125cc pitbike crate engine. Ease being relative to your ability with fabricating bits to adapt the carburetor and 12 volt electrics of most Chinese clone engines.

Back