Going to buy a pitbike, but I have a few questions.

Vikingimike01

Hey guys! In a few days, (friday or the weekends) I'm going to buy a Lifan YX140 pitbike from some guy on Facebook Marketplace. It looks like its in good condition

Apperantly it only ran for 1000kms, it doesnt smoke, and it has race ignition.
He is asking 570$ for it. Is that an OK deal?
Also, what are the things I should check? I was thinking oil, idle, suspension, and how hard it is to start.

darwin

Look up that bike online, sometimes you can buy them for around $300 shipped. Dunno about that model maybe it's a better bike than the cheap ones or maybe not.

Chainlube

Check the way it shifts, if it's smooth shift, check the brakes for oil leaks, check crankcase for oil. See when it was run last, it may need the carb cleaned out. I have a 110 cc here and if I sold it, I'd probably ask $500.

Vikingimike01

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look at it today, its 2 hours away with a car, and i'm going to leave in an hour.
Wrench: the guy said i can test ride it, which i'm pretty sure I want to do. Just to see how it is, if it bogs and stuff.
Chainlube: i'm not sure what smooth shifting is, I can only assume, since i've nerer even sit on an actual motorcycle other than my china 66c bicycle.. Lol.
Darwin: Uhh, this is the only one i found in Hungary, and yeah uhh.. no cheap shipping here
The guy also said there was someone checking it today, maybe he just wanted to make up an excuse for getting the bike hot before we arrive there?
I don't know.. But I looked on UK sites and they were about the same cost but worse condition.
Maybe I can find a couple of issues, and offer less? :rolleyes:

darwin

WOW was I wrong, prices have gone up on those. It's been awhile since I've looked. Wonder if quality has gone up with the prices. Maybe covid is partly to blame?

Vikingimike01

Darwin, maybe. I remember i bought a retro cafe racer style seat on ebay last year august, it was 20$. I checked for fun yesterday, they are 50$+

Anyways, I bought the pitbike, managed to get it for 500$, so got 70$ off, because I found a crack on the metal frame of the fender (Means nothing but still a crack, it just took me like 15 mins to weld so no big deal)
Also, it has a choppy throttle. But the thing revs to 14k rpm, and the guy got it dynoed, its 11hp stock, but his is 17hp. I almost flipped first try with the SLIGHTEST throttle i could give. I need to get a half turn throttle instead of a quarter turn one!
Also it fit in the car without having to take it apart or anything.

Vikingimike01

Lol. Yeah, I have to be careful with this. I like it so far. I'll upload some pictures when im done working on it! It has some stuff to fix. Should take a few days at most.

Vikingimike01

So uhh. i was watching videos on how to properly kick start the bike, and i found one like me and the guy was saying its a 150.
So i look up yx 140 engines. Nope. It's a lifan 150, not a yx 140 engine. The guy said it has a keihin carburetor. It says mikuni on the side.. Okay... Weird.
So, considering its a lifan 150 not a yx140, did i come out better only paying 500$?

I was looking at prices on ebay and they start at 620$. What size main jet should I think about getting?
Also now that 17hp sounds a bit more real, lol.