Gold E-Krate first project build.

Beautiful Bike so far
Yep, long crank is gonna hit the ground in turns Unless ya always keep the pedal on that side in the up position
But it's hard to remember to do that and it's gonna get ya more than you would like
I might just go a bit shorter, won't know until I have the wheels in. Probably mid to late August before it rounds out for a test ride. I am quite excited about find the shifters for this. The Krates and Stingrays are Iconic bikes and they were known specifically for those stick shifters, plus the banana seat and ape hanger bars. The Krate springer for was a keeper, but can be dangerous too with too much load as they can be flimsy under loads. Hopefully the smaller wheel will reduce some of those stresses on it.

Beautiful Bike so far
Yep, long crank is gonna hit the ground in turns Unless ya always keep the pedal on that side in the up position
But it's hard to remember to do that and it's gonna get ya more than you would like
Will find out when it's on wheels. Worst comes to worst a quick disassembly of the crank and a fast shorter replacement. Will be trial and error.

I might just go a bit shorter, won't know until I have the wheels in. Probably mid to late August before it rounds out for a test ride. I am quite excited about find the shifters for this. The Krates and Stingrays are Iconic bikes and they were known specifically for those stick shifters, plus the banana seat and ape hanger bars. The Krate springer for was a keeper, but can be dangerous too with too much load as they can be flimsy under loads. Hopefully the smaller wheel will reduce some of those stresses on it.
Yeah crank might be OK I guess ya just gotta ride her and find out Small front wheel might be a problem

Okay, I think I figured the front wheel situation, did do measurements for the braking issues on the smaller front wheel. Here is what I am doing. Rear hub motor still considering less than 1KW setup as the front end of this type of bike is easily prone to wheelies especially on takeoffs that are rather quick. Not good for me. Also control at higher cruising speeds especially if you are sitting back on the seat means the front end also becomes less controllable. I already know this from my full sized e-ray with a heavy front hub motor and triangle battery. The front end does get much lighter and want to drift easier the further you sit back on the banana seat.

So here is what I am doing on the wheel arrangement. 26" wheel in the back, and from Japan...TADA!!! A 22 inch X 1.75 steel wheel on the front. That means there is a 4 inch difference in ratio. It is the same deal on original Krates. The Schwinn's have a 20 inch wheel on the back and a 16 inch wheel up front, same 4 inch difference.

As for the brakes on the front??? Okay, it is almost 4 inches below the brake bolt mount on the center springer shaft. I found that you can get a 4 1/4" extra long reach sidepull brake for BMX bikes and this also allows the small fender on order too. That fender will be resprayed with a gloss gold to more or less, match the bike theme. I measured and believe this will be workable allowing me stopping power on the front end.

I am going to ride the front springer fork cranked tighter to have less movement on it. I'll document and update this as I go along. Now for my next post on this challenge. The shifter and especially a derailleur on a beach cruiser frame.

Okay, my issues next month once the rear hub is in play will be the derailleur as I'll be going with either a 7 or 8 speed. The stick shift will be all chrome including a chrome ball. I might consider taking the stick shift apart after I get it to repaint those with a gloss gold finish to match the bike.

Okay, there is no place or hole for a hanger bolt for the rear derailleur. However, you can get a cheaper bolt on derailleur that bolts on the axle. So I am thinking this will be doable. I'll know after I talk to the stick shift guy. Also I'll have to consider what type of chain I put on it. They do vary in width and length too, so it will have to match with the front bling ring. I definitely will be adding a gold chain though. It seems the chain to get fits all three 6/7/8 speed setups. Anyhow a pic of the rear of the frame where there is no bolt hole for the hanger bolt of the derailleur.

IMG_1927.JPG

The seat and sissybar have arrived. Once I have the rear fender available, I'll be able to take them on. For now, here are some weekend pics of what this is shaping up to be. ENJOY!!!

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

And for a bit more excitement, a more complete shot and look at the future "Gold Krate" which should be riding sometime maybe in September. Yes, this will be an adult sized Krate. I am hoping to maybe build a "Lemon Peeler" and if I can find the right orange color cruiser frame, an "Orange Krate" too.

IMG_1924.JPG

Still can't completely get the handle bars tightened down, even with a black aluminum bike shim set. Front wheel in about a week. I have ordered a Schwalbe Road tire in 22X1.75 inches for it, already have the shrader tubes. Will be filling the tubes with "Tireject" which is sold on Amazon, and that should further protect the front wheel. I measured the tube above it and where the brake mount is about 4 inches maybe a tad less. I found an "Extra Extra long" gripper brake that accomodates BMX with a fender. The reach over all is at 4.25 inches so this will hopefully give me the front stopping power.

On the back hub motor which is at 26 inches, there are one of two ways I can go. A normal grabber brake over the wheel which is quick and easy to nail, or the hub motor allows for a disc brake plate. It will mean buying an adapter for the left cruiser frame caliper mount. Will stick with mechanical disc if I go that route.

As for riding the bike, probably be a cruiser around twenty, not much faster. So I may stay with the grabber brake in the back. Weigh in, let me know what your guys opinions are on that. Thanks all, will post more pics as this project moves forward. Most activity will pick up again after the first of August hopefully. Should have the rear and front wheels and braking done, fenders, chain and a derailleur for a 7 speed. The very last touches will be the black chain guard with the "Gold Krate" in gold letter or vice versa. And of course the 7 speed stick shift. That shifter will be in all chrome.

I think the rim brake will be plenty as long as you invest in quality pads. Plus all the non gold junk that is the disc brake might take away from the look a bit.

Back