Good alternative to Grubee 4G transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh so I guess there is no good alternative transmission for my motor. Why cant Grubee or 3rd party manufacturers be bothered to make a decent transmission for these motors? & please don't try to sell me another 4G. I just don't want something thats going to break every time I fix it & would like something for a decent price that wont cost half the price of the kit itself.

Just from what people have said it seems to be somewhat more relable than the 4G. I've even read a review saying it lasted well into 4,000 miles. I'm sure the same cant be said about the 4G.

im back to my trusty GasBike 1-3 fixed gear transmission with a chain tensioner inside the transmission to account for chain stretch! dont do this, LUL :p

I've got 8-9k miles on my 4g and i bought it used with a moter failing at multiple points. God knows how many miles the previous owner put on it living around a wooded lake, looks like a well used battle axe. I got it with a belt that had a gash but worked easily for roughly 2k miles. I broke the bell after maybe 7k of my own miles put in on it, and that was with the 53cc and towing a trailer over 100lbs uphill. I enjoy my 4g, just wish there were upgrade options outside of owning a machine shop.

I've got 8-9k miles on my 4g and i bought it used with a moter failing at multiple points. God knows how many miles the previous owner put on it living around a wooded lake, looks like a well used battle axe. I got it with a belt that had a gash but worked easily for roughly 2k miles. I broke the bell after maybe 7k of my own miles put in on it, and that was with the 53cc and towing a trailer over 100lbs uphill. I enjoy my 4g, just wish there were upgrade options outside of owning a machine shop.
79cc kind of sounds like an upgrade.

There was a problem with clutch bell welding a couple years back, I informed Don and he went to the factory and got it handled right away.
I've got 8-9k miles on my 4g
I broke the bell after maybe 7k of my own miles put in on it, and that was with the 53cc
I enjoy my 4g, just wish there were upgrade options outside of owning a machine shop.
I like the HS 144F-1G 53cc engine too, it's only 4cc bigger that the standard HS 142F-1G, but you can feel it.
I only had 1 bell break and I have 30 builds running a 4G...
Well, that's not entirely true, I converted a handful of 100TFW 4G's in to 10G Long Shaft shifters...

GT2-10G-53-DoneLF.jpg

GT2-10G-53-DoneRR.jpg

I find the 4G very reliable.

Last edited:
I have a Huasheng 48cc with a 4G transmission and I've got about 50 miles on it. So far so good, but it seemed to me that when I got the transmission new, it was only "factory" lubricated and not running as friction-free as I would want or expect.

KC, can you share any insights/recommendations/instructions/guidelines for how to lube and service a 4G transmission?

I would love to get a Qmatic transmission but they don't fit on the taperd shaft engines that are sold with the Grubee kits. They apparently used to sell an adapter for the taperd shaft engines like the HS142F but not no more it would seem. From what I've read & just from looking at the Qmatic in pictures it has almost bulletproof reliability but costs twice the price of a 4G & doesn't fit.

Since I originally bought this 4G kit to save money I would be hesitant to spend what I payed for the entire kit on a transmission by itself & having to get a long shaft engine as well. So my only option for a lower budget transmission replacement would have to be the 5G. I can easily make some improvements to the overall hardware like better quality chains & better grade bolts & stuff.

People also say to grease the heck out of the inside which I also plan to do. & to get at the clutch bell if it ever breaks I can drill a hole through the shaft so I can put a rod through to get better leverage on the bolt holding the bell on. That way I wont need to transfer the bearings from the old shaft onto a new shaft like I was forced to do with the 4G clutch bell & shaft since it was welded together into one piece which was an idiotic design.

You might want to see if you can have an adaptor made for you to use the Q-matic and hopfuly it would be a one time expence!

I've never owned a 4 stroke but a friend of mine had the same thing happen he simply had the bell welded up properly with a tig and as far as I know it's still holding well after a year , although I think he also adjusted gearing by changing sprocket. Hope you find a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back