Good-bye to China/Grubee Junk, Hello To Reliable Motorized Bicycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to share with you how to build an extremely reliable motorized bicycle. If you haven't read my (very bad) experiences with China/Grubee parts, you can do so here:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37647

Unfortunately, but expectantly, I got burned by the last few parts from China/Grubee I was still using. The chain finally stretched beyond usability and came apart. Of course I was over 10 miles from home. It amazes me how they can engineer their junk to break when you are furthest from your destination. Soon after replacing it, the tensioner pulled into my spokes breaking several of them, and the crappy throttle they sold me broke while installing it on my new friction kit. The admin here didn't give me the last word on the thread I started (cute closing comment Ilikeabikea) but still, those who listened to my advice were rewarded and those who didn't suffered a similar fate as I did I'm sure. I'm sorry, this is not the cheap option. Cost is around $700+shipping. If I were going for the cheaper option I would probably get the Honda kit from flmotorbikes $490 or a Bumble Bee for $250. A strong tire/tube combination as I point out below would also be needed.

Here's the RELIABLE parts list I use:
[$325] One Honda GXH50 or other (not made in China engine)
[$160] One Staton Friction Drive Kit 1 1/8" roller (yes, you heard me right, "friction". I went with Staton because it's made in the USA? NO! Because it's NOT made in China!)
[$130] One centrifugal clutch adapter (I got mine from Staton also in the hopes of eliminating a mismatch with the fiction kit bell)
[$$$] Any ole' bike frame (hopefully not made in China. Funny fact though, I'm using a old Huffy mountain bike that oddly enough has USA stickers on it. Maybe Huffy was once made in USA? hmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffy)
[$10] One thorn resistant inner tube for the rear (these are heavy and thick in the $10 range)
[$45] One semi-smooth Armadillo tire for the rear (I can't stress how important this is. This is one tough tire that you will need. I read, Continental Grand Prix's are comparable but my local shop carried Armadillo's)
[$30] One optional larger gas tank to get you further down the road before re-fueling

I am so impressed by this bike that I wanted to share it with you. It is hard to believe how long and how far I've gone without breaking down even one time! It's mind boggling. I'm sadden that my $300 EZM Q-matic transmission is now on the shelf, because that is a very nice part. I also still have my brand new untouched Grubee 66cc replacement engine on the shelf that I like to point at with my finger (figuratively) and laugh at as I go in/out of the shed from another long, dependable and very enjoyable ride. "you can't screw me now @#$%^&*@#$! ahahahahahah" or something like that. :)

Helpful Tips:
* You can rig up a good throttle cable to the Honda GXH50 easily, using the existing linkage and Staton's throttle that comes with their kit
* Do not try saving money on tires/tubes at Wal-(China)-mart or you void this great advice and we absolutely can not be friends! :)
* Riding in the rain is no problem but you will need to oil the friction roller bearings periodically. (I found that out when the squeaking got pretty loud)
* You will rack up some serious miles so do not forget to change the oil and clean the air filter regularly
* I use a plastic tire liner and and old flat inner tube inside the tire for extra tube protection
* I always carry tools and an extra inner tube just in case. I have not had a flat since using the Armadillo tire/thorn resistant tube
* I have a large knobby mountain bike tire on the front but don't do anything special to prevent flats on it. The rear takes the major abuse, but if you have the cash and get an Armadillo tire and thorn resistant tube for the font, it sure won't hurt :)
* You can use any tire/rim in a crunch! (before learning the proper tire/tube combination, I had a tire blow out and a flat. Pushed it to my girlfriends and put her old rear tire/rim on my bike and road it home on the friction drive over 8 miles! no messing around with sprockets and chains!)

For those who are the chain-drive-only types, let me say... I was one of you and really expected the chain drive to be superior. But it simply wasn't. I did not think friction was the way to go, but since I've bolted this on from the beginning, it remains untouched from that moment until now. I have been riding it 35+ miles a day to work and everywhere in between reliably without having to work on it, other than for flats until I got that straightened out. I now know this is currently the best and most reliable kit you can buy... so I'm sharing this with you so you won't suffer like I did and you will be able to reliably go from A to B without having to take the bus or waste your time and money on crappy China/Grubee parts.

I hope this helps someone...
John
Being broke down 10miles from home is never a good thing! I agree with you friction drive is just simple and reliable..no way around it..facts are facts and those are some good posted facts!

Long Awaited Update

I've had to wait a long time to post updates to this thread.

Thanks to Fabian for suggesting the Schwalbe tire!

So far I've bought two Specialized Hemisphere tires and they are practically bullet-proof. I've never had a foreign object penetrate through and cause a flat. Even with the tread coming off they are still reliable. The problem is that the Specialized tires do not actually have bonding adhesive around the top of the tire, causing the friction drive to begin pulling the tread apart right away. If they fix this problem, then they would be right up there with Schwalbe tire. However, Schwalbe has Specialized beat. Although I've had one thin piece of metal go through and cause a flat, I've also had a short fat screw stick in the tire and not cause a flat. Also, At this point the Schwalbe tread remains strongly intact far longer than the Specialized tire would have. They will slip at the smell of water, but in the rain all you need is to add more pressure on the roller to the tire and it's no problem. I expect this tire to last a very long time.

Shame on Staton for going the cheap Chinese route!
Remember that one problem I had with my friction kit? One problem! My bearing were squealing real bad? Can anyone guess why? Yep, turns out the bearing are made in China. If there's one part made in China, it will try to screw you! Staton, you go from 5 out of 5 stars to 2 1/2 out of 5 stars for this alone! Big error. I'm not happy about it. :( I would gladly pay more, just keep that crap from China away from me!

I do have some BIG news! I actually had to work on my bike the other day, sort of. My engine was revving up while the bike was barely moving. Turned out that after 4000 miles or so, clutch pad dust will build up in the clutch housing and cause some slipping. Clean it and you're done.

So here is my updated "Most Reliable Motorized Bicycle Kit"
* Honda GXH50
* Staton Friction Drive Kit (lose the China bearings please)
* Centrifugal clutch adapter
* Bike
* Thorn resistant inner tube
* Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire for the rear
* Gas tank

John

Schwalbe Marathons are what I run on my touring bike. I have 3,000 miles on my current set and not one flat! Hoping to push 4000 miles in a couple weeks. I weigh 260lbs and when I am touring, I am carrying 80 to 100lbs of bike and gear. I also rotate my tires.

For my motorized touring bike, I went with 2" Schwalbe tandems. I might have to go with a narrower tire to reduce friction and increase my capability of pedal assist.

Chinese bearings? Good Japanese don't cost that much.

Thanks for the update and Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Lud, even though I don't drink anymore you seem like someone who I'd have fun knocking back a few with, I drink 'em cold thanks.I notice americans like to throw around nazi/commie for anything they don't agree with, much like a young man throws around "I love you" in order to get laid.From what few europeans I've conversed with face to face we're living in two different worlds, driving across the thick part of Texas freaks them out.I remember an interview with the dude that played Gandalf (Ian something er another) he said "all americans should just ride bikes to the shops" proving he's no idea how vast the country is, that's one of the reasons we luv our firearms, take's the po-po 40 minutes minimum to get to my house, certain parts of Death Valley aren't accessible during flood season so you are on your own, AND it's a sick but beautiful thing *****slapping something from 500 yrds after that deafening concussion.

LOL Maybe this is what freaks out some Euro types.

2013-01-06.jpg

That last post with the state of Texas gun ownership was great.

I no longer go to any other motorbike site.
I also Like guys like Jaguar and Fabian.

When my boss wanted to call someone the most evil thing he could think of, he called them a communist.

The Europeans don't understand that it takes you a day to go from one state to the other in America and 2 days for a similar road trip in Australia.

Comparatively it only takes you 3 hours to drive between states in parts of Europe; 3 hours separating completely different languages, completely different cultural values and completely different laws.
The reason why all European cars are equipped with space saver tyres is that gas stations are only 30 yards apart over there, and that's in the more remote and rarely traveled parts of the continent.

Loved that post of Texas gun ownership.

It's the most likely reason why President Obama won't invade Texas to confiscate their guns.

Thanks Professor

Myself and Jaguar are a little more opinionated and vociferous than some, and inspired to create and do things which haven't been attempted before, which doesn't sit well with the moderators of the other site.
Little wonder then that myself and Jaguar have been banned from the other forum, not that i'm in any way fussed about it.

There is a saying that in Britain, 100 miles is a long way, in America, 100 years is a long time.

For over 20 years I competed in a national race series, and did/do despair at the attitude of some people when it comes to covering distance; leave my front door, travel at a moderate pace, and 6 hours or less, you're at the furthest venues, around 250 miles from me. But you would get some herbert ask if "you haven't got anything closer than 50 miles away" when you talked about a local event.

Too bad an admin over at motorbicycling.com would not agree. I made two threads there. The first was closed by IlikeaBikea and the second one is the exact one you read here. However, the same day I posted it, it was deleted without any notice or explanation. I asked admins why and got no answers. So of course I posted it again. And again it was quietly deleted. This site and theirs show a good contrast between communism and freedom. I'm tired of gasbike.net, Grubee, China, Walmart and spending my hard earned money on junk that works one or two times. Fortunately, I'm old enough to know what it was like before the markets got flooded with the planned obsolescence age. What used to last years might last week now. It's pretty sad.

I don't hate, I'm justifiably mad. :)
I agree 100% you would think they took the time to think of a good product the the time and money to make it send here you would think they would make the product out of good enough material to last more than a few minutes or in some cases miles and it is a lot of every day stuff that dose not last!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back