Good high range headlight that runs from magneto, cheap?

Sadly the magneto cannot be tapped for power without effecting a already weak ignition or doing ALOT of soldering and mounting a battery to accompish this. It's about 6.5 Watts from a fresh magnet and 2 wire coil. (Blue/Black) Russians have made an ignition just like it for their identical D-6 and F50 engines that these are cloned from. Picture is attached. The old ones used to have a white wire that was a pickup coil for a more common type of cdi but they seem to be gone now.

Edited: Third image is what I meant to upload as the first.
the old 3 wire ones could be made to work, but youd need a bridge rectifier to make that work properly.

Sorry but they didn't. I understand electronics. That coil was sharply pulsed and of very little current or voltage.
Thats becuase the coil produced AC voltage, and inturn makes too much voltage (at higher rpm) and will blow out the light bulb. A rectifier makes it turn into dc and provides a much more stable current. (And wont blow up the bulb)
Hence the reason you need a rectifier. If you dont believe me give it a try.

That coil produce's half the voltage and 20-30ma amps of current. So at 8V and 20ma your producing 0.16 Watts even with a 100% efficient rectifier it wouldn't power anything.
you measuring on ac or dc current? because your coil should be producing a lot more than that.

That was AC on the old secondary coil.

Main coil produces around 2-16V and 400ma of ac current.
hmm, weird. have you ran a headlight on the bike? im curious to see if it would burn out.
as ive gotten close to 40v on mine.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
LED's use less power, would one of those be better?

Back