Good Light for the 20 Mile Commute.

i agree with the 12V 7A being the best compromise of weight/cost/runtime...

spunout: stay tuned to my project-thread for developments on my charging ideas.

I just saw something clever on ebay.

its a non friction generator system that uses magnets attached to the bike wheel as the rotor part with the fixed part of the generator fixed to the frame of the machine...

no mechanical drag - so no loss of performance which would be perfect for our sort of machines - and also no damage to a tyre as well...

Jemma xx

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-No-friction-B...ryZ22689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I love your lighting project, Augie. Hopefully soon you will see new pics mine with some lights. I also have lost hope of harnessing that white wire voltage to directly power lights, but the battery Idea really seems the way to go. I really would like to see after dark. and bicycle lights, no matter how good, rarely give enough light to see at 25-30MPH.

I look forward to the charging portion of the thread!

I found a neat headlamp at Walmart that is ample for biking, or a good backup or even a dual for those pesky car drivers. Besides its just handy. It is a Garrity headlamp, paid $18.00. its got a headband style strap around the head with a strap over the top. one halogen forward bulb, 3 leds forward, 2 red leds forward, and red 2 leds on the back. It has a small box in the back for three AA size batteries, and I have run mine for who knows how many hours im guessing 50 hours at least so far on the first set I put in. mosly one led for fishing, reading at night, etc. The cool part is, it is hands-free, uses non hearing aid batteries, you can set all the red lights flashing, and still turn on the halogen for seeing. Plus you could use rechargeable AA with it if you wanted. I use it for country road riding at night for short distances just for the flashing rear, and to see where im going. Its great in a pinch or handy used in conjunction with a built onto the bike set of lights. The best part is legality if you are required to use light even with streetlights available. Dont want a hassling donut eater bugging you. if you have a roadside issue id rather have it than not- anywhere. anytime. Not that I like wally world, but the only place ive seen it, but havent looked online yet? hmmm... Ill try to find out the model # I guess ill have to search for Garrity headlamps

Wow! i just thought about how cool a bike light shining forward, with this headlamp lighting up where you look as well. Too cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I had my camera with me the day of the police thing was the night before, I had 2 cars swerve into my lane for no reason and a truck flipped on his high beams at me. I want to take pictures of them when they do that. I have a 3 led bright as heck light and I'm thinking it might have hurt their eyes. Why else try and run me over. A nice head lamp would be nice. Thanks for all the great info and ideas.

Hi Augiedog,

Longtime member been away for awhile - what type of headlight is that? Do you get it at an autoparts store? The hardware store has 12v ac halogen lights. I need a little more info before I buy. I need a light for commuting.

Thank you, Scottco

Got lights?

Well i didn't ,And got pulled over I had a white wire head light and no tail light, was dark and rain'n and i was moving so i could get home out of the wet. So there i was blast'n along ( still at leagle mph for town) and the state patrol boy pulled outa from side street just as i passed he fliped on his lights made a u-turn and took chase.He gets out and say's "I pulled you over becuz you have no tail light",.....and you were going prety fast".Asked me if i had a licence no i don't he took my name and all the usal stuff.Came back a few min later said my licc. exp i shuld do somting about that,went on to say that was not sure on the law was kind of a gray area on these things.Said for safty it would be a good idea to have tail light again he said you were going kinda fast and if it moves like a vehicle it should be lit like one and that was that he let me on my way.

So what i have done, have a 12volt7amp SLA that a friend gave,and a
12v 55w nice bullet style hallogen head lamp that wavy given me(thanx wavy:cool: ) wired that with a toggle.And run the wite wire back for a 6v tail light with a toggle also,works great and no more probs.

Will try and get some pics of my poor man's rack for battery zip ties a wundefull thing.:cool:

It is rare That I Agree with the....

It is rare that I agree with cops on anything.. But.. I agree with them on this one... You do need a headlight and tail light when riding after Dark. I like the Bell From Walmart around 10 bucks. IT is bright enough to see as well as being seen. They have combos for around 15 or 20 bucks where you get a head lamp and an LED tail lamp. All you need.. Enjoy the ride...

Another way to go if you are interested that could eliminate the problems of being tied to a wall socket (needing 120 v ac to charge ) if you are using you are using the grubee oa 2 stroke china motors is hooper imports has a 6 volt regulator then you use a standard motorcycle lead acid battery replace the 12 volt bulbs with 6v bam the ignition is more stable (kill switch is wired so u interuppt ground to stop ) and u don't have to worry about charging

Back