Good rear wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
2:09 AM
Would like to upgrade my rear wheel. Tell ya what I got. I've been using gutted out ssingle speed coaster brakes. With a caliper brake, ever since my brother showed me in the 80s on all my bikes. Putting a motor on my bike still didn't stop me why should it.
Since I don't want to ride on trash I'd like an upgrade single speed freewheel 26". Any helP

well I got the Grubee HD axle for mine but I bought my HD wheel set from MBRebel in the size I wanted then bought the HD rear axle hub and had a lbs swap hubs for me. wasn't cheap how ever in the long run.

Get an experienced mechanic to hand lace you up an alloy double wall DH rim (Alex rims, HJC etc) with stainless steel 14/13 butted spokes onto a disk brake compatible, single speed (spin on), cartridge bearing hub (Surly, Formula etc)
Service wize... Bearings pop in and out, freewheels are way cheaper than freehubs, and disk mount sprockets are available so you won't have to dick around with flimsy adaptors. If it's done right, and you maintain the spoke tension, it will more than likely outlast the life of your ride.

Would like to upgrade my rear wheel. Tell ya what I got. I've been using gutted out ssingle speed coaster brakes. With a caliper brake, ever since my brother showed me in the 80s on all my bikes. Putting a motor on my bike still didn't stop me why should it.
Since I don't want to ride on trash I'd like an upgrade single speed freewheel 26". Any helP
I put on HY22 guess mag rims top speed with spokes was about 22 MPH now I'm doing over 30 MPH so I think that's an upgrade.

If I wanted to spend 150 on a wheel I'd get a car. I'm a make stuff work guy, then I'm a make stuff work better. I was just thinking about relaceing a cheap freewheel hub off a bmx or something like that.

Ah didn't know you were looking cheap. I'm not doing my build for cheap transportation I own all my vehicles. I'm doing it as a hobby and to get something I would never be able to really buy which is as close to a indian motorbicycle as possible.

If I wanted to spend 150 on a wheel I'd get a car. I'm a make stuff work guy, then I'm a make stuff work better. I was just thinking about relaceing a cheap freewheel hub off a bmx or something like that.

You can get a good downhill rim off the Internet for around $50. A good rear rim is definitely important. Your life is in the line. You can run a rag joint and use a generic hub (which is a tad shaky) and scavenge 14 gauge spokes off junked wheels, but a crappy rear rim is not an option.

That's really a decent option. I wonder if you are locked into a 44 tooth rear sprocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back