Good right side panner bag for friction drive?

bikejock

Local time
5:50 AM
I'm looking for a good side panner bag for my friction drive mountain bike. I use a staton inc. rear mount. Problem is it's not exactily designed for adding a bag or bags to it. A bag on the top is a no go because I am kinda worried the engine will heat up the bag causing it to set fire or melt.

So I guess I'm left with a panner bag mounted on the right side as the engine is mounted on the left side of the mount. So can anyone offer me any advice on how to properly mount a side panner bag that won't get caught on my wheel or gears? A bag that can quickly detach to be able to bring it into a store or work would be great so people aren't tempted to steal it off my bike.

1: A horrible looking bag permanently left on, with a plastic grocery bag inside that you can take out and carry.
2: A few webbing straps buckled onto the rack and sewn together, forming a harness that you can place a pannier inside, so you can take the pannier with you leaving just the webbing and buckles.

I have used both methods for bicycle touring, even both at the same time. You should be able to find a photo of my scruffy looking panniers-in-harnesses on my old scruffy looking touring bike if you click my name and look for "media" somewhere on there.. Okay maybe not. I just tried to find it and couldn't.

I decided to get a front mounted bicycle rack. Placed an order for one & am expecting it by the end of the week. It's an interesting design. It uses the quick release axle & some brackets to mount to the front fork of the bike. I figure I can get clip on panners & maybe figure out a way to lock them to the rack so I wouldn't need to keep removing them & bringing them with me every time I lock my bike somewhere.

I decided to get a front mounted bicycle rack. Placed an order for one & am expecting it by the end of the week. It's an interesting design. It uses the quick release axle & some brackets to mount to the front fork of the bike. I figure I can get clip on panners & maybe figure out a way to lock them to the rack so I wouldn't need to keep removing them & bringing them with me every time I lock my bike somewhere.

Sounds like the Axiom Journey rack. I have my eye on one of those to fit to my suspension fork. I will be interested to hear how it performs. :)

Here's what my MT-4000SF looks like on my bike. It's a great versatile rack as it is but I thought about adapting the quick track system to it so I can use Topeak MTX stuff on the top of it. I also rigged some backpacks to the side I got for $20 each to add more cargo space.

56311-c3d0e524e0286983840a563dc6b95f03.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 120
Here's what my MT-4000SF looks like on my bike. It's a great versatile rack as it is but I thought about adapting the quick track system to it so I can use Topeak MTX stuff on the top of it. I also rigged some backpacks to the side I got for $20 each to add more cargo space.

56311-c3d0e524e0286983840a563dc6b95f03.jpg
Wow that is nothing like the Axiom Journey rack and nothing like I was expecting! It certainly looks an unusual type of pannier rack. Is it solid bar or tube, alloy or steel? How much does it weigh, and what is it's load capacity? Can we see it without the bags, please? :)

Wow that is nothing like the Axiom Journey rack and nothing like I was expecting! It certainly looks an unusual type of pannier rack. Is it solid bar or tube, alloy or steel? How much does it weigh, and what is it's load capacity? Can we see it without the bags, please? :)

Ok, here's the rack without bags on it. I'm going to be adapting the top platform from a Topeak MTX quick track rack today so I can use quick track stuff on it & have a bigger platform on the top. Not sure what it's made of but it could be made of some kind of alloy based on how light it is.
MT4000SF front rack.jpg
MT4000SF%20front%20rack.jpg
56317-2f76017812fec6f864e3325a50f2f2ea.jpg

Ok, here's the rack without bags on it. I'm going to be adapting the top platform from a Topeak MTX quick track rack today so I can use quick track stuff on it & have a bigger platform on the top. Not sure what it's made of but it could be made of some kind of alloy based on how light it is.View attachment 73431
MT4000SF%20front%20rack.jpg
56317-2f76017812fec6f864e3325a50f2f2ea.jpg

Thanks for the piccy. :) it looks huge in the picture off the bike, but not so much when it's mounted on the fork.
That sounds like a great plan. Come back and show us when it's finished! :)

After about an hour or two of cutting & drilling I finally got the top of my Topeak MTX rack on the front rack. Now just gotta get new bolts from the hardware store because the old bolts were pretty rusted. For now I have it hooked on there with strong thick zip ties that seem to hold it on pretty well for now.

56366-13a9a71ed74a2b4c8c33136564dcf612.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 101
Back