Good starter motorcycles

Will'smotobikes19

I am thinking of buying a proper motorcycle. What do you guys think of the Suzuki TU250x, Kymco Spade 150, or an older Ninja 500 twin. I prefer cafe racer type bikes and not much of a cruiser/vtwin guy.

mark20

I am thinking of buying a proper motorcycle. What do you guys think of the Suzuki TU250x, Kymco Spade 150, or an older Ninja 500 twin. I prefer cafe racer type bikes and not much of a cruiser/vtwin guy.
i would get a honda cb350, or a cb750 if you want the power lol.
there great motorcycles and can be picked up for around 1k with clean title.
the reason i like these is thatr there cheap! parts are cheap, they need little to no maintence.
but if you going for one of the above i would get the susuki tu250x, great bikes as well!

The_Aleman

Suzuki SV650 is a great inexpensive ride, IMO. Great torquey powerband, won't do anything crazy at high revs.
Not really cafe style and yes it's a V-twin, but they are dang good all-around bikes. Reliable and disposable.

I love old Goldwings, mostly the GL1100s and earlier. They can be made to look like a (big and heavy) cafe bike, bulletproof.

I'm with Mark on the Honda's lol as you know I once had a 1992 honda 400 and it was nice and torquey. But you run through the gears fairly quick and find yourself wanting one more. Lol but for a first bike would be great so you get used to the weight and power. And not peddling before you let out the clutch hahaha but seriously I jumped on my buddies softtail the other day and found myself looking for the peddles lol

The_Aleman

Yup, hard to go wrong with a Honda...they mastered bikes before they did cars. My second motorcycle was a '76 Honda 250 lol

First was a '75 Kawasaki H2, the old 750 triple. It had an extremely temperamental carb and linkage setup. Finicky and scary.

Yup, hard to go wrong with a Honda...they mastered bikes before they did cars. My second motorcycle was a '76 Honda 250 lol

First was a '75 Kawasaki H2, the old 750 triple. It had an extremely temperamental carb and linkage setup. Finicky and scary.
Yeah i couldn't imagine trying tune not 1 but 3 carbs and get them synced together. That was probably kawasaki's worse idea ever lol i saw an episode on t.v. of a guy that restored one of those. I believe it was a police cruiser. If I remember correctly it's the bike they used in the t.v. show CHIPS.

The_Aleman

Those police Kawasakis had 4 carbs, like the early Goldwings. Yeah, not fun, there's a kit to convert 4-carb Goldwings to single.

Most of the problem is modern fuel. Ethanol isn't as friendly as some folks make it out to be lol

Will'smotobikes19

Sv650 my neighbor had a blue one, they say not to start on a 600 though. I’m probably only interested in 500cc or less. The ninja 500r can go 80 or 90 if you need to. I don’t want to start on a real heavy bike. Did you know they make 650cc scooters?

mark20

Sv650 my neighbor had a blue one, they say not to start on a 600 though. I’m probably only interested in 500cc or less. The ninja 500r can go 80 or 90 if you need to. I don’t want to start on a real heavy bike. Did you know they make 650cc scooters?
I think you should get a ninja 300, there great starter bikes! Yes it's a 300 but it'll get you going I'd you can trust yourself to handle the power then get a 500 (but a 300 is hella fun)

JerboaJohn

ranking the Spade vs. Grom, an excellent channel on YT (DodgeRider) put the Kymco Spade little bit better than the Honda Grom. both are good bikes, shorter, and there's lots of aftermarket stuff for both. you can get a good used Spade for 1800-2000
me, I'd get a decent older 350-500cc and they go cheap, like $800 cheap mostly bcs the engines are smaller; everyone wants 600 or 750's