Good starter motorcycles

bakaneko

1. Ninja 300
Do you mean the Ninja 400? They bumped it up and I think EU/outside US has the better looking grey and orange fairings/decals. I think the hp is about 40 versus 20-35 for the others true "300-" motorcycles.

Timbone

Do you mean the Ninja 400? They bumped it up and I think EU/outside US has the better looking grey and orange fairings/decals. I think the hp is about 40 versus 20-35 for the others true "300-" motorcycles.
I do indeed mean the Ninja 300 - it’s there entry level one cylinder model. I work with a guy who rides it to work (when it’s warm) and he loves it. Sells at about $5k.

Timbone

Tim have you done anything with that 140cc bike since last time?
No!

I never fixed the brand new engine!

It’s been a long cold Winter here and I have put that project on hold. I made the decision to not spend another penny on it with the intention of getting a nice little motorcycle and just making everything easier for me.

My financial situation is much improved now but I’ve run into a serious roadbock in terms of financing. Employment, decent income, and lack of debt are not enough to get you a motorcycle loan, I’ve found. Be mindful of your credit history. Lack of credit history is the same as bad credit history.

I am locked into a “get a motorcycle” plan now. Guess I’ll start making payments to myself, maybe buy a used one soon, and buy new in the Fall.

darwin

Timbone check this out. I've been looking at Yamaha xt250s lately and discovered that each m/c dealer has new old stock they usually don't advertise in order to sell the current models. Local shop here has the 19 model for msrp $5199 plus fees/taxes out the door. Same dealer has an 18 model for sale $4699 plus only tax out the door. 17 model for $3699 plus tax out the door. All brand new bikes, see the savings you can get? Be mindful that say on the 17 model if you drive it out the door and it gets stolen/totaled ins will only pay what BB say a 17 model is worth. Me I'd buy the 17 model in a heartbeat even if the insured amount is less, just me.

Timbone

Timbone check this out. I've been looking at Yamaha xt250s lately and discovered that each m/c dealer has new old stock they usually don't advertise in order to sell the current models. Local shop here has the 19 model for msrp $5199 plus fees/taxes out the door. Same dealer has an 18 model for sale $4699 plus only tax out the door. 17 model for $3699 plus tax out the door. All brand new bikes, see the savings you can get? Be mindful that say on the 17 model if you drive it out the door and it gets stolen/totaled ins will only pay what BB say a 17 model is worth. Me I'd buy the 17 model in a heartbeat even if the insured amount is less, just me.
Thank you for the info!

I am on this.

I’ve been negotiating with the local Yamaha dealer and I got what I thought was a great deal: 2018 R3 new and unsold got about $4700 out the door.

My problem is on the financing side. I have good income and I just discharged a huge debt so I have a cash in hand problem.

Will'smotobikes19

Hey we’re both starting to get tired of motorized bikes. I also want to save for a motorcycle. I don’t mind buying a bike from the 1980’s if I have to. I’ve been riding my schwinn sidewinder with Subaru for the past 2 days and I can’t get enough. Maybe a redesign of the homemade frame and a flathead Briggs 5 or maybe 8hp from a junkyard wouldn’t cost too much for yours. Converting from vertical shaft can be iffy.

Timbone

That project is on hold. I still have my daily motorized bike and I’m planning to replace the drive axle and replace the gear cluster bushing. Should take just a few hours.

I am focused on getting a motorcycle, getting my endorsement and hitting the road. I loved motorized bikes but I’m feeling more and more uncomfortable on the road. Every time I see a cop I wonder if he’s gonna chase me down and light me up. I’m tired of that feeling. I find that this discomfort dissuades me from taking longer rides.

My advice: if you want a motorcycle just take the steps necessary to make it happen. Don’t waste your time. Don’t waste your money. Formulate a plan and stick with it. That’s what I’m doing!

Will'smotobikes19

Yeah, I’ve spent a lot of money on crap motorized bike parts. I regret that now. Worst thing is people tend to defend these parts when they really are crap. Going to stay away from any CG/unbranded 2 strokes from now on. Im not 16 years old without a license anymore. As for 4 strokes even Chinese ones are decent compared to unbranded bicycle engines. Most also have low maintenance auto clutches. I think it would be cool to have a motorized bike on the side but a real motorcycle will always be king in todays world. Years ago I wanted a motorized bike because a YouTube video I think. I’ve had a car for 2 years now and I don’t need a motorized bike at all. I’ve been on here since April of last year with my first build (technically). I tend to have a lot of ideas and always think of different engine options. I find my own mind annoying. I’ve chatted with a lot of people on here. Some people seem sorta rude but mostly everyone is nice or helpful.

Last edited:

mark20

Yeah, I’ve spent a lot of money on crap motorized bike parts. I regret that now. Worst thing is people tend to defend these parts when they really are crap. Going to stay away from any CG/unbranded 2 strokes from now on. Im not 16 years old without a license anymore. As for 4 strokes even Chinese ones are decent compared to unbranded bicycle engines. Most also have low maintenance auto clutches. I think it would be cool to have a motorized bike on the side but a real motorcycle will always be king in todays world. Years ago I wanted a motorized bike because a YouTube video I think. I’ve had a car for 2 years now and I don’t need a motorized bike at all. I’ve been on here since April of last year with my first build (technically). I tend to have a lot of ideas and always think of different engine options. I find my own mind annoying. I’ve chatted with a lot of people on here. Some people seem sorta rude but mostly everyone is nice or helpful.
yea my first anything with a motor was a mini bike. then came the motorized bike.
if your still looking for a bike, keep in mind there for sale for a REASON!
my niegbor has a harley and ive seen him ride it once. thats most of the owners here in mn lol.
i bought a dirt bike for 1500$ and it starts 3rd kick!
it doesent need anything. but beware of shady sellers (i had to pass on a couple of bikes becuase the owner tried dodging the question, "do you have a title" and "does it run" )

becareful! and good luck on your journey :)