"Good Vibrations" build

I would love to hear how your build is going.
Eh. It's just opening one can O' worms after another... 'cause I'm not content with the kit in stock form. The motor will stay stock for now, but it's everything else I seem to have to try to improve upon. LOL. I'm an idiot.

What's left to do? I have to try to get most of the rust out of the tank, enlarge the centerbore, again, of the 44-tooth sprocket (I bought a rear wheel with heavier-guage spokes), I need a sprocket gasket set (misplaced the pair I had), a fuel petcock (the kit's version looks like a big leak), more chain links and a clutch lever from Dax. It's gonna be at least another week and I'd hoped to have it running by this Saturday and ride it to a local friend's gearhead party.

I bought a pair of handlebar grips today from a Honda shop. They're red like the bike. Hahaha...

Sorry about the delay, the other person that does the job I do is sick so (counting commute) I'm putting in 14-16 hour days... I haven't even picked up the frame yet! Hopefully things will get back to normal soon so I can get back on track with this project.

Man it's been a long time!

Winter hit and my "retirement" job took on a life of it's own!

I finally got the worktable cleaned off and have GV on it. I cleaned and regreased all the bearings. All of the parts are mounted, but I have a lot of tweaking to do. Biggest problem is getting the rear sprocket trued. Actually, my heart isn't in it as I reallllly want a larger sprocket so the poor little engine can pull my lard-bu..... Portly body up the little hills out in the valley. The whole idea behind this build was to have a way to get home after my legs give out when I am out getting some exercise. I don't care how fast it goes, as long as it gets me back to the car!

Going down to SF tomorrow so won't be able to work on it again until the weekend.

Problem #341.

Standard mounting hardware in way of drive chain.

No biggie, but just one more setback. Did get the rear sprocket mounted, about the hardest thing on this build yet. Ended up with about 1/32 off of center, but spins true, with no wobble.

Just taking a break before getting out the hacksaw...

Here's Pics.
chainfromside.jpg

chainfromback.jpg

Found I had a larger sized Dremel cutoff wheel so mount mod went fast...

... So fast the bike is almost ridable!

Now begins the "trouble shooting" phase.
Ran it down the block a five times checking choke, carb etc, I even poured som gas down the spark plug hole... Didn't even get one pop! took out the plug and set it on top of the engine and took off one more time. NO SPARK!

I'm definitely not an authority, but I'll give you a few obvious suggestions;

black and blue wires properly hooked up?

spark plug wire properly seated in CDI?

spark plug proper gap?

That's about all that comes to mind right now.

I wish you luck; that bike's a beauty and I hope it's pulling you around soon

The coil wire doesn't seem like it can be removed from the coil, but after I checked everything I now have spark. I am wondering if I have a faulty kill switch ?? That was the only thing I didn't hook back up for this test.

But, now I have carb problems, Or I should say throttle cable troubles. As I was going over the wires I noticed that the throttle cable seemed loose so I gave it a tug... And it pulled right out of the carb! The little lead ball on the end that hooks under the throttle piston had pulled off. I should have expected this because when I went to assemble the bike I discovered that the ball had been crimped under the chrome cable end. I got it out by cutting off the first crimp, but I guess I loosened the ball in the process.

I have a torch and silver solder to replace it, but it got dark and cold out in the garage so I quit for the night.

Of course I couldn't find the soldering paste, I think I packed it away with my RC stuff. But, I was able to crimp a couple of pieces of small brass tubing to the cable end and it seems to be holding. My first try this morning was with the kill switch hooked up... Engine didn't start. I ripped the wire off and tried again... ... I ended up riding a couple of blocks before thinking I should get back as I was freezing!

This little ride convinced me that I need to order a larger sprocket. Oh yeah, and get some brakes! The GV has none now because I didn't want to go through all the hassle just to end up with a brake that is dependent on a chain that could pop off at any time.

I think I found a source of 56T sprockets for $30 + $10 shipping, Will keep you posted... Pictures will be posted this evening,

Here's the pics I promised:

bike.jpg

motor.jpg

chain.jpg

If you look at the rear engine mount you can see the extension I had welded to the frame, not perfect, but makes for a clean instillation.

Also, I know I mounted the tensioner wrong... I watched a few U-Tube vids and saw a lot of chain flopping with the tensioner mounted the other way, so thought I would try this.

Back