Got a free Tanaka 27cc!!!

dchevygod

Local time
8:28 AM
I work at a small engine shop and got the opportunity to bring home a gas powered drill for free! Yes it needs work but im good with that ;) The thing actually sputtered and then ran with fresh gas, now ive tried it a couple more times after that and now I have no fire at all. Im pretty sure its a carb issue, since it ran strong at idle and WOT. It needs a bigger NON C.A.R.B comp. carb anyways, then the exhaust can will be upgraded to a good tuned pipe and mounted to my 2nd schwinn scooter conversion.

This one is lots better of a start than the first one, With full suspension and a rear disc brake "the 1st one had only a rear drum and no suspension" this is going to be lots smoother and safer at 30+ mph speeds.

So about the tanaka? Does anyone have 1 or have experience with the 27cc that could give advise or feedback on how to go about the performance mods on this lil engine "on the cheap". Im a broke husband+father of 2 so everything is a budget build. Except when taxes come in or I do a big side job, lol.
20170925_213630.jpg
150639717756776613876.jpg
15063972869651819245566.jpg

You want performance?
Watch the used ads and buy a China Girl, or ideally a new Grubee Skyhawk.
You will get more performance and it will be cheaper in the end because once you get that powered drill running sweet as you would want it on a bike, you can sell it in the used ads for as much as the Grubee kit. I kid you not...

LOL dude, Ha ha no kits for me. Ive got a bike that will annihilate any china girl! My 46cc 8 speed monster does 55+ and leaves on one wheel
if you want a race I'm always game. I fix China girls but will not own one.

I like to take something that shouldn't work and make it my bit€h

That looks like a fun one to play with, any possibility you can make it possible to use the chuck as an output to make it readily disengaged from the drive just by using a screw gun key.

Good frankensteining project.

Thanks Frankie. I would totally leave the chuck on if it had reverse, but without a reverse it's useless extra weight. If it had reverse it would go on a trike with a ring and pinion and massive reduction to tackle hills with a big load.

LOL dude, Ha ha no kits for me. Ive got a bike that will annihilate any china girl! My 46cc 8 speed monster does 55+ and leaves on one wheel

Hey, what gear reduction box is that? it looks like the 5:1 pocket bike one but it is on the right side! Tell us your secrets on how you did this! :eek:

It is a 5:1 PB reduction. It drives the front sprocket just like the sbp shift kit. But that reduction is my jackshaft, unlike the sbp kit that has a bolt on jackshaft to transfer power from the left to the right. The 5:1 reverses rotation, so my motor spins backwards in relation to forward chain spin and that helps counteract the twisting force on the motor mount. I can't keep a chain on this thing with 13000+ rpm and 4.5+HP, if I power shift the chain will drop and sometimes catch and tear it and the derailleur apart.

Well if you think he can do it on a "broke husband+father of 2" budget, OK, but it looks like $500 to me.

It is a 5:1 PB reduction. It drives the front sprocket just like the sbp shift kit. But that reduction is my jackshaft, unlike the sbp kit that has a bolt on jackshaft to transfer power from the left to the right. The 5:1 reverses rotation, so my motor spins backwards in relation to forward chain spin and that helps counteract the twisting force on the motor mount. I can't keep a chain on this thing with 13000+ rpm and 4.5+HP, if I power shift the chain will drop and sometimes catch and tear it and the derailleur apart.

can you provide the link of where u bought the 5:1 pocket bike reduction that reverses rotation? or does all of those models do it? this is super cool

can you provide the link of where u bought the 5:1 pocket bike reduction that reverses rotation? or does all of those models do it? this is super cool

Yes all the 5:1 PB trans reverse the rotation. If it looks like mine does. IDK of any other 5:1's. The motor on this one is a $250 gem from davesmotors.com. If you can deal with super wide pedals this is THE engine for good stock HP rated @ 4.2HP @ 13,000 RPM. Very reliable power I might add. Its the transmission of engine power to the wheel that is the issue. Stupid narrow chain! That... I can't change unless It's upgraded to an internal geared hub with beefy BMX chain.

Back