Got a shift kit

CrazyDan

Local time
9:52 AM
Purchased a 4 stroke shift kit from sick bike parts. Its been mostly simple to do, some of it has made me scratch my head. Right now I think all I need to do is get a longer axle as the quick release axle doesn't work on the older style derailleurs, doesn't stick out far enough. The bottom bracket spindle and crank arms don't clear the engine when using the 4g on a tapered shaft engine, thank god I already had the 226mm bottom bracket spindle and the stock crank arms fit (the new cranks still don't clear even with the wider bottom bracket spindle...). Hoping to have it done and bugs worked out before the 26th.

Purchased a 4 stroke shift kit from sick bike parts. Its been mostly simple to do, some of it has made me scratch my head. Right now I think all I need to do is get a longer axle as the quick release axle doesn't work on the older style derailleurs, doesn't stick out far enough. The bottom bracket spindle and crank arms don't clear the engine when using the 4g on a tapered shaft engine, thank god I already had the 226mm bottom bracket spindle and the stock crank arms fit (the new cranks still don't clear even with the wider bottom bracket spindle...). Hoping to have it done and bugs worked out before the 26th.
Wait why can't u use the square tapered or whatever crank spindle that comes with the bike? Clearence.

Also I am hacking together my own shift kit and u know how usually the freewheel screws into the crank arm. Is it ok if I weld the freewheel to the axle or do they sell adapters. I don't wanna spend the money to get a new crank arm unless it's necessary.

I can see why folks like using the internally shifting hubs, shifting with a derailleur is a tad slow. Took a few miles to learn how to shift without slamming gears.
Wait why can't u use the square tapered or whatever crank spindle that comes with the bike? Clearence.

Also I am hacking together my own shift kit and u know how usually the freewheel screws into the crank arm. Is it ok if I weld the freewheel to the axle or do they sell adapters. I don't wanna spend the money to get a new crank arm unless it's necessary.
I am using the SBP 226mm square tapered spindle, the 206mm that came with the kit didn't give enough clearance to clear the engine/transmission with the SBP 170mm cranks or the stock wide pedal cranks. The 226mm spindle still wasn't enough clearance to accommodate the new 170mm cranks either. I might be able to make it function if i shave a little bit (0.5mm, maybe more) off the tip of the crank behind where the pedal attaches. The right side pedal does have threads on the inside that can use the freewheel, but I think the sprockets need to be more inboard than it would allow with the wider spindles. If running a 2 stroke engine with a normal spindle length I believe the freewheel can screw on there no problem, so all you would need is a square tapered spindle without the need to buy a keyed spindle for the freewheel adapter. Not sure if welding the freewheel to anything would be wise.

I can see why folks like using the internally shifting hubs, shifting with a derailleur is a tad slow. Took a few miles to learn how to shift without slamming gears.

I am using the SBP 226mm square tapered spindle, the 206mm that came with the kit didn't give enough clearance to clear the engine/transmission with the SBP 170mm cranks or the stock wide pedal cranks. The 226mm spindle still wasn't enough clearance to accommodate the new 170mm cranks either. I might be able to make it function if i shave a little bit (0.5mm, maybe more) off the tip of the crank behind where the pedal attaches. The right side pedal does have threads on the inside that can use the freewheel, but I think the sprockets need to be more inboard than it would allow with the wider spindles. If running a 2 stroke engine with a normal spindle length I believe the freewheel can screw on there no problem, so all you would need is a square tapered spindle without the need to buy a keyed spindle for the freewheel adapter. Not sure if welding the freewheel to anything would be wise.
I might just bite the bullet and buy a crank arm. Too bad I can’t find one off amazon and have to get one of sick bike parts b/c I have an amazon gift card. If I weld the thing and it dies I am in trouble. Plus the heat might affect the bearing/warp it and if I crank the amps too high and it’s thin metal, it could burn a hole in the wheel.

What kinda of frame did you mount your shift kit to? Can you please share a picture. I don’t want to run into this problem when I get my shift kit.

What kinda of frame did you mount your shift kit to? Can you please share a picture. I don’t want to run into this problem when I get my shift kit.
Ya wanna see. Hold on a few hours; when I get home I’ll share some shots. Basically, I had to make a custom shift kit. See the tires I got are 3” ish and the frame is a little weird. Plus I was up to the challenge. You really want a beach cruiser frame, with the regular tires and regular sized down tubes.

Last edited:
I put mine on a huffy cranbrook
pic_2925-jpg.84420

Nothing huffy left except the frame, I'd advise getting another bike with disc brakes and all other quality parts you want and motorize that instead of replace everything like I have to make it reliable. It works well imo
45013123_10217725910279913_1307001240147722240_n.jpg

Heck yea what size chainrings are you using and how many millimeters is your bottom bracket???

Atm I'm running 2x 30t chainrings on the 226mm bottom bracket. Need to get a second 48t and I'm putting them both on instead of the 2x 30t so I can help out my engine more pedaling.

Back