Got chewed on for having a motorized bike.....

bluegoatwoods

Local time
10:56 AM
I knew there were people like this, of course. But I hadn't had one yet show his ugly face to me.

I was in a strip mall yesterday pulled onto the sidewalk, locking my bike in order to go into the store. This guy and his wife came walking by. As he passes, he asks, "Where's the license plate?"

I could tell that this guy was being a smart alek, so my answer was a cold, "I don't need one."

"Insurance?"

"Nope."

At that point I would have told him that these are legal and to never mind or something like that.

But he comes up with, "So what happens when you knock down grandma standing on the corner with her groceries?"

Now I was starting to get more than just annoyed, I was getting mad. He was still right there with me. I narrowed my eyes even more, went into my low growl and spit out, "I-Don't-Do-Things-Like-That!"

Maybe he knew that he couldn't get away with a lot more, because that's when he started walking away. But he couldn't resist mouthing off more about how 'we have to buy insurance and you don't' and about how we should 'grow up' and **** like that.

By this time he had reached the door of the store (the same one I was going into) and I pointed at him and yelled, "I own a car and I pay my share!"

Jerkwad just gave me the finger.

I waited long enough to smoke half a cigarette before following him in. I wanted to let the steam off a bit. I didn't want to start a fight inside.

I went in and had made the plan to, when I saw him, say loudly, "I'll tell you something else I don't do; I don't get ****ty with strangers on the sidewalk" with the intention of being heard by most everyone in the store. Hopefully it would embarass him some and I'd just see where it went from there.

He saw me and turned down an aisle. It actually did look pretty natural, so it might not have been from fear.

I gathered up the stuff I was there for and went and stood in the checkout line. While I was making my purchase he came shuffling up front looking over the shelves. So I stared hard at him, making it real clear just what I was doing. Following him by turning my head, as opposed to just the eyes, and scowling the whole time. A couple of times I had to turn back to the cashier to finish the purchase. But then eagle-eye right back at the doofus.

He did not look me in the eye the whole time. Perhaps he was beginning to realize that he'd gone too far. But I'll bet the lesson will soon be forgotten because, in reality, he had the better end of the deal. He'd abused me and gotten not much punishment for it. I was just a bit too slow in the uptake.

But I've learned my lesson. (That's the major point of this post, by the way. I know how I'm going to handle it next time and I'm offering it as a suggestion for anyone else who finds themselves in the same spot)

The next jerkwad who thinks he can insult me because he doesn't like bicycles is going to get one, and only one smart alek question or comment.

Now, I can be tough when I need to and I've surprised a couple of bullies in my lifetime. But I'll still never throw the first punch, I don't think. I'm just not that mean or aggressive.

But the moment I realize that I'm dealing with a ****, then I'm going into my low, loud baritone yell. I'll be right in his face screaming something like, "This bike is none of your darn business! You've got better things to worry about, like the loose screws in your ugly head! Go see a doctor, you nosey old, fool!"

I'm kinda lucky in that I have a good voice that can be like a mild sonic boom if I want. (I'm a rock and roll screamer in the vein of Roger Daltrey and his types. But I'll fill you in on a secret; really almost anyone can do it. You just gotta get over your fear of looking like a fool.)

Anyway, the real message of this tantrum will be, 'either put up or shut up! We're not wasting time with words!

Even the stupidest bully understands that language.

Now you sound like one of the intelligent, so know there are some that even a good throttling can't help.He sounds jealous, nobody told that moron he has to drive a car or buy insurance for that matter.The best thing you can do with those types is make good eye contact, give a little smile, and say nothing; then of course if he gets too close, one warning then off with his face.Just think of how fun his life is if he gets off on confrontation with strangers, you're smiling down the road and he's bickering with the poor ol' lady.

There are plenty of people out there that have no life. Don't let them drag you down.

You're right, guys. There's nothing really to be done about idiots and there's no point stewing about it. It's only been about 24 hours and there's still a bit of anger in me over it. Probably in another day it'll be spent.

But I'm also angry at myself for reacting so slowly. I just didn't seem to catch up.

And the next guy is going to pay for this one's sins and for my fumbling the ball.

But it's likely to take years. Creeps like this really aren't all that common. Or at least they've got enough sense not to reveal themselves.

But now I've got a plan. And I'll feel a bit better carrying it around with me.

Sooner or later we all run into idiots, when they talk trash about my choices I just look them straight in the eye and ask "Why are you jealous?"
Forty years of steel work and farming has it's rewards.:(

I would have said:

"excuse me sir, but it's obvious to me that the simple fact you're breathing is depriving someone of precious oxygen; you should be more mindful of your actions".

I second the approval of Ludwig's comment, if it were said in a quiet stern voice it would be kinda scary, that's what I try to do with the nothing response, makes them use their imagination as to what my next move is, if they have no imagination they are instantly scared/on the defensive, like walking into a pitch black room.

Don't bother trying scary, one day you'll meet someone who really is scary. Just smile and walk away. No confrontation, and you're pointing in the ideal direction to escape if they want to take it further.

Back