Got 'er running ! Staton friction drive

p12texas

Local time
5:45 PM
Well, It runs good ! It's the GX35 with 1" roller. Gets to 25mph on the straights (plenty fast for me) and has great torque for rolling hills.

Cool stuff!
I don't really understand people who think speed is crucial in a bike with a motor, as more speed = more danger in an already kinda dangerous means of getting your butt from one place to another;)

Edit: skipped a word

Thanks for the comments.:)

Cool stuff!
I don't really understand people who think speed is crucial in a bike with a motor, as more speed = more danger in an already kinda dangerous means of getting your butt from one place to another;)

I Agree

So, I installed a digital Tach/Hour meter and have a couple questions for those with this engine or I guess the gx50 would apply as well.
This little engine will spin over 8500 rpm, is this right ? Also, I adjusted the idle speed to manual specs (3100 +/- 200) and that wasn't an issue.
I had to change the setting on the tach to the proper one because initially it was showing about double what it should be.
When I cruise on the flats at 15mph the engine is turning about 5500-6000 rpm with a 1" roller. Max speed is 25mph and the engine is running over 8000, once I get there I can back off the throttle a little and still maintain that speed.
I have no complaint regarding the torque or max speed I can achieve.
I guess I'm just curious how other set ups are running as far as engine rpm and torque.
Also, there seems to be some clutch rattle noise untill It's fully engaged, usually around 5000 rpm. Is this normal ?

Last edited:
As far as clutch rattle noise does it do it idle just sitting there? I found on 1 FD I had that the clutch was rubbing against the bell just ever so slightly. Took it apart and you could see the rub marks on the bell inside. Solution was to use 4 thin washers to space out the motor just a few .001ths. This is assuming all bolts are tight holding the clutch arms and the clutch on. As far as tach I never use one. I just go by performance in throttle response and noise it makes to be satisfied.

No, it doesn’t rub when idling.
I may take it apart and inspect just to make sure all is well.

p12 where do you live? Leave that bike out on the porch tonight will ya? The more I look at that bike I want it. Love the geometry of the frame. I rode one that Dax owned once and always wanted one. There's only a couple of cheap bikes like that and their cheap in quality too. Never could find a nice used one when looking and never would spend the money for a brand new Trek.

Back