got my kit, mounts too big?

Go leather, you won't regret it.
I have tried old leather belts, still ok but the stitching frays.
The leather on pic is a proper cut leather strap new from a leather shop.
Many thicknesses and widths to choose from. I use some PVC tape to hold in place, easy, flexible and it works. Try a wholesale leather shop, cheaper.

Attachments

• Leather Band.jpg
    Leather Band.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 183
Where do I find the Dax site for clamps?

Eventually I will probably change the studs and bolts, but I'm leaving everything as is until I get the engine mounted and running.

Leather is what I have been thinking about a lot. I'll probably give that a shot since I have a couple old belts I could start with.

A good source of leather that's right for that is a feed store. They have lots of thick leather parts for horse tack. They are usually pretty cheap. Lot's of man's belts have cardboard sewn in them. Here's a link to dax. I'd still consider using aluminum sheet. It's very easy to cut with snips and bends easy to fit. I'm sure the leather will work too.

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_1.html

A good source of leather that's right for that is a feed store.

Nope, I bought it from a leather wholesaler, in the city, 1 metre strips ( no feed stores I know of), and a proper leather hole punch to do the job properly when cutting pieces of leather between the engine block and C-Clamps so the holes line up with engine studs.
It's also good to put on a cross bar where the tank sits on, so it prevents the tank from eventually rupturing.
Hole punch was made in good ol USA btw.

They have lots of thick leather parts for horse tack.
Nope, that's called a Saddlery or RM Williams, but I have never ridden a horse so I would not know anyway.

Lot's of man's belts have cardboard sewn in them.
That's why we don't use them. The 1st pic clearly shows it's a all pure leather, but I'll post some more just to clear it up a bit. It's been tried, it works for us, none is theory or problys.

Attachments

• Leather Band-Thick.jpg
    Leather Band-Thick.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Leather Band-Width.jpg
    Leather Band-Width.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Leather Band-All Leather.jpg
    Leather Band-All Leather.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Where's adelaide? I live on the west coast USA so I'm going by what's available here. Yes a saddlery or on the west coast a tack shop does have all that. Here at least in Washington State there are tons of feed stores that also carry simple replacement parts for headstalls etc. Like replacment reins, leather buckle straps, etc. Since you need so little to do this just a couple 8" leather straps could be cut up to work. Sorry you seem to have taken offence at some more choices. Oh and yes I've owned and ridden a couple horses.

1/8th or 3/16th inch rubber will make a perfect shock absorbing mount for the engine. You got lucky here, most fit so tight that you can hardly use anything thicker than an innertube and they wear out fast. Make sure that you take some sandpaper or a file to the inside of the engine mounting surface and take off all the burrs so as not to cut the rubber. This isn't a problem, like I said .. you kinda got lucky.

If you wanna do this on the cheap, I wrapped an old inner tube around the frame to insulate from vibrations, and then sliced up some old soda and beer cans to wrap around the tube until it was thick enough to clamp the mount properly.

I also happen to lead a very healthy lifestyle and am a well respected member of my community :rolleyes:

Pics below:

Downtube 3.JPG , Seat Tube.JPG

Anyone tried a section of radiator hose?

I've searched on this but it seems most people have issues with the engine mounts being too small for their big tubes, I have an old bike so the problem is reversed -- the mounts are too big for my frame.

is this common, is there an easy fix? it looks like it might work if I put enough inner tube wrapping in there, but that seems like it would lend itself to a weaker mount overall.

any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Back