Got the belt on. Now wont start unless its rolling forward

Oh it definitely has springs, 3 of em inside. I was assuming OP has a tapered-shaft clutch - but that's the straight-shaft clutch, same thing I have. There are 3 springs in that clutch as well as sliders that should have a very light amouint of grease on em so they don't bind. I have to admit that I completely forgot about the bushing tho, it's been so long since mine was converted to sealed bearing. Those bushings need regular oiling sometimes, depending on how much you idle at a stop. Best oil I've used for that is a tie between 3n1 (cheap at Napa or Ace Hardware) and non-spray Tri-Flow (not cheap, but awesome for chains too).

Edit: the 3 springs inside are easy to replace with higher-rate ones so that the clutch engages later. All of these clutches have some deviation in the springs, whether between complete clutches or individual shoes. A matched set on a clutch works wonders.

Could you link to a better clutch bell and clutch for this such system, i would like to look into it

Some of those kits come with a clutch drum (tapered shaft engines have bell) that has what looks like solder to connect the drum to the rotor. The good drums are cut for the rotor. Look inside your drum to see if the rotor is connected like this:

4G-58-CCBELL-insidE.jpg

If not, then bicycle-engines.com sells a real Grubee "5/8" shaft clutch drum. I had to replace my soldered Grubee junk that broke back in 2011 with the Grubee updated design, as well as a new clutch that was damaged by old drum. The new clutch I got from them didn't need any spring mods, it worked just right out of the box after I took it apart, greased the sliders, and beveled the shoe edges with a file. Still works nice 8 years later.

Staton-Inc sells a "GXH50 Super Duty" clutch, but that one is made for tapered-shaft engines, or "5/8" shaft engines that have the 76MM adapter. AFAIK, It won't work on ours, and cost like 3x what a Grubee clutch cost, anyway.

Some of those kits come with a clutch drum (tapered shaft engines have bell) that has what
Some of those kits come with a clutch drum (tapered shaft engines have bell) that has what looks like solder to connect the drum to the rotor. The good drums are cut for the rotor. Look inside your drum to see if the rotor is connected like this:

View attachment 87567

If not, then bicycle-engines.com sells a real Grubee "5/8" shaft clutch drum. I had to replace my soldered Grubee junk that broke back in 2011 with the Grubee updated design, as well as a new clutch that was damaged by old drum. The new clutch I got from them didn't need any spring mods, it worked just right out of the box after I took it apart, greased the sliders, and beveled the shoe edges with a file. Still works nice 8 years later.

Staton-Inc sells a "GXH50 Super Duty" clutch, but that one is made for tapered-shaft engines, or "5/8" shaft engines that have the 76MM adapter. AFAIK, It won't work on ours, and cost like 3x what a Grubee clutch cost, anyway.
Reminds me of the good ol days when men were men, and brake shoes were arced to match the drums.

Nope, its's pic 5. Look at the rightmost edge of the upper clutch pad. It's lifted and will grab. That is the problem, and a new clutch will fix it.
Edit((s)there were a lot, beer was involved): You can see in pic 6 the extra wear that location has. I think the bell might have been warped a little bit from the defective clutch, shoes should never peel off... The bell might need replacing too. Use this as an opportunity to upgrade your clutch and bell to better products than bottom of the barrel gasbike parts.
On a side note (edit 42): be very careful when working on cheap stock clutches (in our bikes and cars). The pads tend to be made of asbestos, that dust that builds up is very very bad to breath in. When you mess with these parts, use a HEPA filter vacuum to get as much as you can out, and work outside in a good breeze, with the engine downwind. I have the staton inc beast clutch, it's organic. Has lasted 3 years.
Do you have a link for a site that sells a clutch

Looks like B-E doesn't list the clutch any more for "5/8" shaft engines. That's too bad, that means real Grubee clutches will be harder to find.

I found this one on eBay:

It doesn't look as high-quality as the original, but eBay pictures often lie. You may want to contact the seller to make sure it's for the "5/8" keyed-shaft engine. The center appears to be for our engine due to the keyway, but the shoe arrangement is the same as the tapered-shaft engine style.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Those clutches are all over ebay, just need to know what your buying. Keyway, straight w/o keyway, tapered with or w/o keyway. 15MM or 5/8ths, never knew there were so many different ones. Anyways BGF has a couple of choices and dax has a 2 shoe clutch on his site.

Back