Got the cranny a zeda80 triple 40, few questions.

Neo_Epoch

Local time
10:26 PM
Hey all, thanks for all the help in previous postings! Income tax was decent, so i picked up a Zeda80 triple 40 to replace the hybrid 49/50cc motor on my cranny, from zeda motor sports.

Out of the box;

- went with the port matching option
- went with the $20 cdi upgrade (thunder cdi, i think?)
- came with the zeda66 muffler that looks like an MZ muffler
- triple 40 = 40mm stroke, 40mm intake, 40mm exhaust
- came with an LZ plug or LD (i forget which plug it was, looks stock anyways).
- looks like a stock NT carb
- came with a 32t sprocket

Now for a few questions;

- was thinking about putting the nt speed carb from my other motor on my new zeda (from the 49/50cc)
- was thinking of putting my Oz Super Mag i had in my smaller motor, into the new zeda, does anyone know if zeda motor sports puts upgraded magnetos in their motors, or, are they stock?
- with the upgraded cdi, i was going to switch to an NGK plug. Should i put my NGK boot and wire on the upgraded cdi, or, leave it alone?
- any suggestions on spark gap for the zeda with this setup?
- any suggestions on NGK plug number for this setup - 5, 6, 7, or 8 (i live in Philadelphia, Pa and the weather has been all over the place lately)
- should i follow normal break-in procedures, or, are the zeda motors already broken in?

I know some of these questions might be common knowledge, but this is my first brand new motor and i just want to make sure everything is at least 90% right before i do the build complete.

Thanks!

You will deffinatly want to do a proper break in,yes put the oz coil and wire and boot on the cdi every bit helps right,It's best to set it up the way you want it in the end or as close as possible right from the start.An Ngk #7 is a good start to see what it likes.

I was thinking a #7 would be a good start, too.

Another thing i was thinking about, how would addint a miffler to the end of the pipe affect the performance? It's going to be a daily driver again and i often get out of work after midnight. Or I'll just h
ave to get it running and see how loud the pipe is from the box.

The flange on the muffler slips perfectly over the stinger on the pipe. I use the 7/8" ID silicone hose to connect it. Some weld it on, but I like it removable so when it gets gummed up it is easier to clean. I'm going to replace the hose clamps with T bolt clamps when I get them. They can be found at the same supplier with the hoses listed below.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Modified-Muffler-Exhaust-150CC-Racing-Scooter-Dirt-Bike-ATV-2-Stroke/191710471479?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=19672fe6042e4a4385a48db8d59ca08d&pid=100675&rk=8&rkt=15&mehot=ag&sd=322658340966&itm=191710471479&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:e0f389c5-5c3c-11e8-a209-74dbd1800863|parentrq:7e0613f01630aadccbf4017dfff93f03|iid:1

http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/hps-silicone-tube-tubing-1-foot.html
View media item 61262

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Wow, that setup looks better than what i was thinking of doing with a stock muffler leftover from the kit.

How mich of a difference in performance did it make?

Did it seem to quiet the exhaust?

Wow, that setup looks better than what i was thinking of doing with a stock muffler leftover from the kit.

How mich of a difference in performance did it make?

Did it seem to quiet the exhaust?
If you look at the pipe I had on it before it was really long, and had no baffle in the muffler. It may have been making to much back pressure due to such a long ad on to the stinger making it run rich. The new muffler seems to have leaned it out a bit. It runs great and is really quiet compared to what I had. Very close to stock exhaust.noise. I have only rode it 1 time since I installed it so I'm not sure on Jetting yet, but I think it's close, as it was rich before. Over all I'm real happy with it. I like the bike on the quieter side.View media item 60844

Last edited:
Cool beans that extra long muffler was kinda the idea i had - cut the flange on the stock pipe, span the same end and fit it over the expansion chamber pipe to just before the bend on the stock pipe and engineer a hose of some type to secure together. But after your experience, ill probably go with the muffler you suggested and secure in the same manner with some leftover heater hose that i have from doing a few hoses on my exploder a couple of weeks ago.

I do like the loud sound and pop-pop of the expansion chamber, but, I don't want to wake people at 2am on my ride home from work, especially with as many residential areas i need to ride through. Plus, at about $15 for the add on, it's not like im putting a wedding dress on an overweight mud dwelling animal.... :D:D

Another thing I've been meaning to ask about, should i run regular 87 octane mix or 93 oct mix through it?

Cool beans that extra long muffler was kinda the idea i had - cut the flange on the stock pipe, span the same end and fit it over the expansion chamber pipe to just before the bend on the stock pipe and engineer a hose of some type to secure together. But after your experience, ill probably go with the muffler you suggested and secure in the same manner with some leftover heater hose that i have from doing a few hoses on my exploder a couple of weeks ago.

I do like the loud sound and pop-pop of the expansion chamber, but, I don't want to wake people at 2am on my ride home from work, especially with as many residential areas i need to ride through. Plus, at about $15 for the add on, it's not like im putting a wedding dress on an overweight mud dwelling animal.... :D:D

Another thing I've been meaning to ask about, should i run regular 87 octane mix or 93 oct mix through it?
The Zedas have pretty high compression. I use premium pump gas. I think it's around 91.

Cool beans that extra long muffler was kinda the idea i had

Me to, and had my local muffler shop fit it, I used a new car glass pack muffler.

KCbike10-2011.jpg

That bike ran great ;-}

Back