Got the Engine.... now what?

sounds like you were going to slow and making engine bog
I have best starts when going approx 5-7 mph, dump clutch, give a few blips of throttle then give more as soon as it fires
you might need to experiment with the choke for starting, I don't need it here in the desert
hope that helps

I tried it at several speeds, only once or twice slow but the rest of the time I tried it with a medium-high-all out speed. And what do you mean by experiment with the choke? Im not a mechanic or anything of the sort, I understand the basics of how an engine work but thats it. What should I try with it?

try starting with it half way then try in other positions, it seems they are all different, my first needed choke but azvinnie's doesn't and neither does the one I use now
you might have to hit the tickler (the little push-button on side of carb)too just to get gas into carb on starting, just a coupla pushes

the tickler... does that act as a primer? bc i pushed it five times before i started. The little silver btton on the carb?
So the choke is... the clutch lever on the engine on the chain casing?
Thanks for your help.

the choke is the little lever on right side of carb
correct on tickler/primer
just be careful you don't push it so much it floods carb (then to start, keep pedalling and hold throttle all the way open)

Ya know, a short video would be worth a buzzillion words and pictures in these cases :eek: . Is there some way we can download short videos on this site (in the owners manual section) for instructional information like clutch cable adjustment, explaining carburetor initial set-up, chain adjustment, etc? This website is going to be a lot busier in the coming months and years as gas prices keep increasing. Videos would be a really slick way to explain assembly of these kits, no? Anyone got any ideas?

WOOHOOO!!!! It worked!!! Choke @ halfway...... well it worked for a while.... I went around a half mile circle by my house and it was a little rough but got smoother the more it went. So I stopped, and lowered my seat.... much more comfortable when not pedaling, then I hopped back on. After about 2/3 mile, it made a popping noise like it backfired (about 3 pops) and then I lost power and the engine slowly died. It starts back up and it makes the appropriate sound when the throttle is pulled... but i get no power of her! .... why cant these motors be plug and play?

PS Great idea on the vids

ok its running now but its not constant. Its very jerky and the jerking has a bit of rhythm but there are a lot of rest in its beat.. for instance, "l"=the pop that gives me power "."=the time between pops. ..l..l..l..l........l..l..l......l..l..l..l..l..l....l..l....l..l..
Does that make any sense at all? lol I did my best to describe it. The engine putting out power has a bit of rhythm of it isnt constant.... thats about the best way I do it...

Also I was trying to keep it under 20 mph like it says on dax page for the break in.... but it wont go past 15mph. I hit 15 then noticed i was at full throttle... It hit 19 earlier but now it wont go past 15. and 19 wasnt even full throttle.

prowler said:
Ya know, a short video would be worth a buzzillion words and pictures in these cases :eek: . Is there some way we can download short videos on this site (in the owners manual section) for instructional information like clutch cable adjustment, explaining carburetor initial set-up, chain adjustment, etc? This website is going to be a lot busier in the coming months and years as gas prices keep increasing. Videos would be a really slick way to explain assembly of these kits, no? Anyone got any ideas?
dude... that is a really good idea, I am going to quote it in forum suggestions

MichRider said:
ok its running now but its not constant. Its very jerky and the jerking has a bit of rhythm but there are a lot of rest in its beat.. for instance, "l"=the pop that gives me power "."=the time between pops. ..l..l..l..l........l..l..l......l..l..l..l..l..l....l..l....l..l..
Does that make any sense at all? lol I did my best to describe it. The engine putting out power has a bit of rhythm of it isnt constant.... thats about the best way I do it...

Also I was trying to keep it under 20 mph like it says on dax page for the break in.... but it wont go past 15mph. I hit 15 then noticed i was at full throttle... It hit 19 earlier but now it wont go past 15. and 19 wasnt even full throttle.

did you open your choke after you got it running?

too much gas?? is your needle valve stuck or your float doesn't float?
causing too much fuel in the carb.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=1214

just a couple things to check.

Back