got to love Ca DMV regarding MBs

a man on a 2 feet high motorcycle doing 60 down the road,yeah that wont draw any attention from the cops,just aswell get a monkey with a accordian and put him in a sidecar.

If you want to do 60 regularly, get a motorcycle/scooter and avoid all the hassles.

Honestly, anything over 40 mph on these MB's will get people's attention because it is unusual. Just like doing 90+ mph in a city street on a motorcycle. But do 90+ on a sportbike out in the deserts and it will seem very natural it will rarely attract the law. Same with MB's. Don't go passed cops doing 40+. Don't ride with your motor on in a bicycle path doing 25 mph.

as seen from up top the mountain top

maybe well said but wrong.
you do need an M2 endorsement on a valid CA DL to operate a MB in the state of California . says so in the chp guide and i have been pulled over and asked for it.

elect = no license needed
gas = M-2

even though DMV told me that I didn't need a M-2 for gas

plus I have two statements posted here on site
from pooolice officers stating
no license required for gas

is everybody on the same page -- heck no -- it's a good old government THING

MM

It doesn't change the law depending on what an officer or DMV personnel tell you. They are often uniformed when it comes to motorized bicycles, mopeds and scooters. Look up the law yourself.

In California:

A gas motorized bicycle is a moped. You cannot "register it" but you can get a DMV issued plate for it. If your local DMV cannot handle it, you can send away for it. It cost $19 one time fee. If someone at the DMV was trying to "register it", they were following the wrong procedure.

You are required to have an M2 license to drive a gas motorized bicycle.
You are required to have an M2 license to drive an electric bicycle if it goes over 20mph.
You do not need a license to drive an electric bicycle at 20mph or less.
You need at least a class C license to drive an electric or gas scooter at 15mph on the side of the roadway or bike lanes. I'm talking goped type, not Vespa type.

Because of all the confusion, many people get away without the proper licensing, and/or equipment. And that is fine unless you get stopped by a well informed officer.

Last edited by a moderator:
acually they dont lump the two together, 406 a and b . a is for one b is for the other, separating electric from gas . also is says right on my M2 for motorized bike

Attachments

• m2.bmp
    11 KB · Views: 230
yes true -------------------- both

acually they dont lump the two together, 406 a and b . a is for one b is for the other, separating electric from gas . also is says right on my M2 for motorized bike

yes true
and unless they have changed the book
it says that you don't need a license for the elect
the gas doesn't say if you do or not
yes that's DMV motor cycle book

yes also true
CHP web site states that M-2 is needed

I love this thread
makes me dizzy
met a sweet thing
her name was Lizzie

MM

406a covers gas and electric 30mph bikes. 406b covers only electric 20mph bikes and is the only class that does not require a license.

12804.9. (5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:
(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406.

406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

406. (b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

Scotchmo
where is all of this information coming from ??
the DMV motor cycle hand book of Caif -- rules -- including motorized bicycles
doesn't mention all of those things

are we supposed to know more than what is stated in the Calif DMV handbook ??

MM

Scotchmo
where is all of this information coming from ??
the DMV motor cycle hand book of Caif -- rules -- including motorized bicycles
doesn't mention all of those things

are we supposed to know more than what is stated in the Calif DMV handbook ??

MM

Maybe you've heard that, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." There's a lot more written in the vehicle code than there is room for in the handbook.:giggle:

I get most of my information from the California vehicle code. It is available on-line at the California DMV web site. For equipment requirements, the code requires that they meet 1966 national standards but does not spell them out. I get those equipment requirements from a CHP publication.

would think that
THINGS that are important for the general public to know about riding motorized bicycles
show be available in book form in the DMV
not everyone has a computer
is it a requirment these days to own a computer ??
and to do a search regarding DMV laws before riding ??

what the heck are we coming to ??

I'll just stick to what the hand book says -- it covers the big stuff -- I think ??

MM

Last edited:
Back