GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

Breakdown!

Rats! "The Iron Dragon"'s engine died three miles from work.:whistle:

Goped tank was filled with 32:1 oil mix as recommended. The engine started easily; after minor throttle adjustment the bike and I were hurtling down the road in style. Seems quicker, faster and more responsive than "The Dragon Lady". "The Iron Dragon" pulled easily up a hill that my other bike would lose speed going up.

Speedometer was inactive until after the engine shut down, so no mph stats.

Engine started stumbling at halfway point. I removed the tape on the venthole. I had plugged the hole while I carried the bike down two flights of stairs. Engine ran, then quickly died when I squeezed the throttle.

After numerous attempts, the SECOND modified "supposedly stronger" pullstart assembly broke. Before it gave up I observed how the pull was barely engaging the welded bracket I had fabbed. Made a mental note to place a 1/8" spacer under the bracket for more engagement.

The center post that secures the metal pawl is "squared" at the top for maybe .060". This is to accept the locking washer which has a square hole. This "square" part had scraped off the plastic post, making the pullstart housing irrepairable. Same thing happened to the other pullstart housing which also broke the same way.

Once I raised the friction roller, I got to find out how easily this new bike pedals three miles to work.:cry:

Need to install my stock engine with original pullstart until I solve the engine stalling and pullstart problems.:geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
:D

way cool !! Soooooooooo, you had NO engagement or slipage issues ?

the iron dragon is MUCH lighter than the dragon lady which will have a real effect on the percieved power and performance but you may no wsee some of what i was saying about the robust nature of the 460.

i realize you were running the 13:1 custom engine today but it'll be very much the same with the stocker since you have the 1.25" roller on to allow the engines to turn in the power band.

BTW, i noted you bought some .005" gaskets and made a comment about the level of CR effect.

did someone at DDM tell you that the .005" base gasket would raise the CR to 13:1 on an otherwise stock engine ? i got lots more mid-range using one but i figured it was maybe good for 12:1. just curious.

thanks,
steve

Steve, I've noticed that the 460 engine engages the pocketbike clutch right off a low idle speed. If idle needs to be raised I might need that adjustable pocketbike clutch.

Either that or have my existing clutch "wear in" for more clearance.

No clutch or tire slippage whatsoever. Engine revs MUCH MUCH quicker from low to medium range than Mitsubishi engines.

Not wanting to test the engine's rpm limits just yet. Still feeling out the Giant Rincon's quirks. This bike handles MUCH differently than my girlie cruiser. Squirrelly I might say.

Yeah, methinks this 13:1 engine is just a tad more powerful than a stocker. According to DDM, replacing the original .020" paper gasket with a .005" copper gasket raises cr enough to require 93 octane or higher. This stage would be higher than 13:1cr, which requires 91 octane or higher.

Now if I stack TWO .005" copper base gaskets, this should make use of the 32:1 fuel-oil ratio ANNND raise compression enough to make use of 92 octane.

What I'm trying to do is to use the same fuel ratio for both engines

No much activity. I installed two handlebar mirrors and had my son pick me and the bike up at work yesterday. Went home and slept 10 hours.

Still recuping from that Ka'ena Point ride last Saturday.

Waiting for new pullstart, friction roller driveshaft and collar to arrive. I have a HD chrome front rim with 12-gauge spokes that I could slap a tire on and install tonight.

The cordless drill did not work for me, so waiting for pullstart.

Ed, yep it took a lot outa me. Thanks again for helping me carry my bike along the way, Ed.

"The Dragon Lady" lost a front mounting bolt and loosened two mounting clamps on one of the Jeep trails. I noticed it on my morning commute, pedalled my "lunch bike" to City Mill at noon and fixed it before leaving work.

Got a new stock pullstart assembly from DDM today and installed it on my 460 friction bike when I got home.

Leaving for another test run in a few minutes. Wish me luck.:whistle:

Darn again!

Took "The Iron Dragon" to the park to start up.

With the roller disengaged the 460 engine started with several pulls and revved strongly.

Yeaaaa!:giggle:

With roller engaged the engine was hard starting. It wanted to fire but didn't. Adjusted carb, still same. I lifted the bike's wheel off the ground and the engine fired up, then bogged and died when I gave throttle. Readjusted carb, engine started, didn't bog too much, idled and died. Raised the idle high, engine ran well, good response.

Dropped the rear tire on the ground. Clutch is already engaged, bike is straining to leap forward and engine idling too low. Gave throttle and the engine died.

Well, Steve and the other guys were right.:geek:

Pocketbike clutch is engaging WAYYYY TOO LOW!

The 460 engine CANNOT idle without engaging the pocketbike clutch!

I need an adjustable pocketbike clutch machined to fit a tapered shaft.

At the moment I don't HAVE that clutch, but it can be ordered from DDM.

I DO! have a 460 clutch with thinner gauge springs. It should work well. I'll install it tonight and hopefully be able to ride "The Iron Dragon" to work tomorrow.

How ironic. I'm using the same pullstart and the same clutch that came with this engine Zomby sold me. The only change I made was lowering its compression from 15:1 to 13:1. That was so I can use 91octane gas, not race gas.

Back