GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

Thanks Ed.

How's the surfing coming along?

The 460 pullstart is of a higher-quality than the ones we've been modifying to work on this engine. Since I have FOUR of these pullstarts, lemme see if I can get it to work more dependably. I broke TWO modified pullstarts. I'm gonna break these four before I give up and buy another modified one.

Methinks that clutch and pullstart I install tonight should work well enough to get to work tomorrow.:geek:

I can't wait for sunrise!:devilish:

the devils in the details big brother.

those HD clutch springs from Staton were the only solid solution i found, but that adjustable unit MIGHT work.

if that clutch from Zomby has stock or clutch saver springs in it don't count on them for long. the clutch engaging anywhere from 6,000-8,000rpm is murder on those cheap springs.

steve

Broken Clutch!

When I removed the engine, one of the three clutch levers fell out!:sick:

The brand new casting broke near the pivot. Unknown how that happened.

No other damage to clutch bell or engine bellhousing, although the one-way bearing in the roller is not working.:cry:

Anyway, I installed the original clutch with HP springs and reinstalled the engine.

Waiting for sunlight.:giggle:

it's light somewhere, go for it. LOL

atleast you had options and are ready to have another go.

by the way, that 1.25" roller puts you right about the same ratio as my newly remodified gearing, when this clutch and starter stuff is delt with you are going to have a BLAST.

steve

Today was very productive. I replaced a defective friction roller with one-way bearing. I also replaced the driveshaft and broken collar. Shortened the left rear engagement support. Also machined off the engagement's support's top so that the engine housing can be raised more than eight inches.

Air cleaner kept slipping off the velocity stack, so I fixed that too.

"The Iron Dragon" fired up quickly. Idle was high but the clutch was still disengaged. Carb still needs adjustment, as low speed seems "fat".

The 460 engine starts in one or two pulls now.

Low range is fine, midrange is good and the top end is like GANGBUSTERS!!!:giggle:

The engine awakens at 30mph(9100rpm) and pulls strongly and quickly past 38mph(11500rpm).

Bike still seems squirrelly at the top end, and that's why I didn't push it into the 40's.

Surprisingly this engine pulls uphill VERY well.

"The Iron Dragon" is very light, quick and flies uphill.

This bike is probably quicker and faster than "The Dragon Lady".

It's also MUCH louder, about as loud as a moped.:whistle:

I'll add another muffler and see what happens.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
:DI agree. GP460's RULE !!

on both my GEBE and Staton build i felt that the front end was "flighty" and the back end "twitchy".

on my "scooterguy" center frame mount shifter it was better and when i put a Gal. of fuel over the front wheel it was perfect.

now i'm back to the rack mount and remote fuel over the front end and everything is still good.

how and where are you storing your fuel 5-7 ? never mind, i found Ed's pics back on page 13. my experience with rear mounted fuel was that it added to the twitchy feeling.

what size tires are you using and how hard do you have them ?

Last edited:
The tires was going to be a suggestion I had too, maybe makesure the rims are trued, and pressure is up, but I am sure with friction drive you watch the pressure close. Sounds like a beast!

Ed

Last night I had my son ride the bike around me in the grassy park so I could see and hear "The Iron Dragon". The speed was about 16mph tops, and my son said it felt very powerful riding on grass. It was his first time on a motorized bike. Now he realizes why I like to commute to work on an MB.:geek:

It's also LOUD.

After riding on grass, we headed home, which is adjacent to the park. The rear tire started rubbing badly on the engine housing and we barely made it home. Upon inspection, I found that the rear wheel was wobbly because of a loose quick-release axle skewer. Tightened the axle, realigned the engine housing and it's good to go.

R X R'd the engine. Clutch looks great.

A great mod I did was to cut off the top of the stock rear engagement strut. :unsure:

If I take off the seat, the engine housing can be lifted almost perpendicular to the top of the tire! Of course the nuts on the all-thread engagement support on the right side have to be removed to lift the engine assembly:geek:.

Great for maintenance, removing the engine and header, and loosening those hard-to-reach bolts underneath.

The 26 X 1.95 Kenda tires came with the bike and look new. It's those hybrid mountain tires with smooth tread in the center and mountain tire ribs on the edges. Rims are quality double-walled with stock spokes. TP is 40psi as recommended.

This engine sucks a lot of gas. Maybe it's because of testing and tuning. I did a three-mile leg of my work commute yesterday.

The "Iron Dragon" is fast and furious, but ill-handling. It's also a very short Giant Rincon bike with a 14" frame.

A 1.5liter goped tank is bolted directly opposite the engine. The sloshing fuel in the tank is an eye-catcher, which makes you notice that it's not a pedal bike. I'll install a tank cover for camouflage.

Hawaii Ed is getting a motorcycle tank for his OCC chopper. I could use one for distance riding, might need an electric fuel pump to feed the goped tank.
I have a pump on "The Dragon Lady" that isn't being used and can switch that over if fuel can't flow from the reserve tank to the peanut tank.

Maybe that's why "The Dragon Lady" seems so stable above five mph. That bike has 20 pounds of engine over the front tire and a 2.5 liter Happy Time tank.

Steve, I carry that gallon container when Hawaii Ed and I ride long distance. Otherwise "The Dragon Lady" has both engine tanks and a Happy Time reserve tank.

Steve, the 1.25" roller is equivalent to a 23:1 gear ratio. A speed of 45mph is my absolute limit for now, and is attainable at 13,700rpm.

With 4.4 stock hp at 11,000rpm plus TS 13:1 head kit and Dominator pipe, 45mph should be possible.

But not before I stabilize "The Iron Dragon".:geek:

Hmmm,

i agree with the speed expectations per RPM for 23:1 but when i use

member "loquin"s calculator a 1.25" roller on 26" tire is very close to 21:1, i have no other experience or info sources so you are likely correct on the matter.

still, when the last of these little "glitches" are cleared up H. Ed isn't going to be "LETTING" you lead anymore.

steve

Back