GP460 Engine On Friction Drive

Yes dui, I like contingency plans and double coverage.

The basic install is done. As predicted, bike weighs about 48lbs.

In comparison, "The Dragon Lady" weighs about 70lbs. with a single engine.

Having difficulty finding a 13:1 dome to lower compression. Then I can use 91-92 octane street gas. PM'D chevy4us; he might have one.

Looking for another 460 engine in the meantime.:geek:

Thanks for the stock numbers, steve.

Chevy4us also has a modified pullstart assembly for $69 + shipping. It includes pullstart, pawl and steel bracket.

Everything falling into place. Goped tank mounted easily onto the engine channel opposite the motor. The housing needs clearancing at the left rear, where it interferes with the Dominator. The left rear support strut needs shortening and the quick-release needs to be lowered half an inch.

I bought an extra set of struts; these will be used to stabilize the midsection of the engine channel.

Do you have high quality wheels,you are prob. good for 50mph or so with 2 460's

I am having steel rims with 12-gauge spokes made, as we speak. The front wheel has a hub to use with a hydraulic disc brake I need to install.

This bike will NOT exceed my self-imposed 40mph limit. The cops usually give you a break if going five miles over the speed limit. I don't want to get a speeding ticket. It'd be VERY difficult to explain the circumstances to a judge.

Being able to do 50mph will make 40mph easier to reach and maintain.

I took my clutch drum spacer and 1.25" friction roller to the machine shop. The spacer needed .3125" machined off its mounting edge.

:unsure:The modified shortened spacer will allow the clutch drum to penetrate that much further into the clutch bellhousing. The result is over 40% increase in clutch contact area. When it returns from the shop, I'll file and clearance where the engine bolts scrape past this drum spacer.

I've ALWAYS had trouble getting the engine bolts started because the spacer is a fraction of a millimeter too wide. A few minutes of clearancing the spacer makes all the difference in the world. It allows you to hand-tighten all four engine bolts their entire length.

I wanted the machinist to clearance the friction roller at its edges. The bearings are a pressfit and I wanted them to be slip-fit.

The machinist handed me some #80 sandpaper and instructed me to sand the edges.

In less than five minutes, the bearings slipped onto the friction roller.

This small trick will eliminated the use of a machinst or a gearpuller when changing bearings or rollers!!!:unsure:

I am having steel rims with 12-gauge spokes made, as we speak. The front wheel has a hub to use with a hydraulic disc brake I need to install.

This bike will NOT exceed my self-imposed 40mph limit. The cops usually give you a break if going five miles over the speed limit. I don't want to get a speeding ticket. It'd be VERY difficult to explain the circumstances to a judge.

Being able to do 50mph will make 40mph easier to reach and maintain.

1.375" roller, 21.35:1, 40mph, 11,000rpm.

if you can get your pedal gearing right you'll only need to pedal about 20ft and pull in the throttle.

provided this roller stays hooked up it will cruise 40mph REAL strong even with a stock 460.

waiting somewhat impatiently :giggle:

steve

ps, 44t-18T on the pedals gives me .41:1, it takes 64rpm to maimtain 12.1mph, but i can get there before i get all the way across an intersection.

Last edited:
Well, the shop charged me $78.53 to machine .3125" off the clutch drum spacer's lip.:sick:

Well, at least he didn't charge me to machine the roller for slip-fit. He also taught me how to modify the roller for slip-fit. That'll save me time and $$.

I swear I'm gonna hacksaw the next spacer and save me the $78.:whistle:

Steve, some scuttlebutt at gopednation claims that the 460 is good for 15,000rpm...stock, and 17,000rpm with headkit and ported.

Of course there was no substantiated proof of actual performance.:whistle:

:unsure:I think this engine definitely needs a tachometer.

Getting somewhat impatient searching for that 13:1 dome...so I ordered another 460 engine, stinger, clutch and exhaust tubing.:devilish:

I'll use the pullstart from Zomby's engine but not the 3000rpm clutch springs.

Tonight I'll install the machined clutch spacer and grind down the engine channel to clear the pipe.

Now you see if we all went down to the pub together and got ****ed !!! you 2 would be off taking bike quantum physics, i on the other hand would get bored and be off socializing with the ladies !!!!(but your not allowed to tell the misses the morning after)

5-7 heaven, loving it, get that baby rolling and you will be ready for the drags in no time.....

I <3 your FD's 5-7. Glad somebody else sees possibly more beauty in them than I do :)

Back