GPS nav & speedo

J

JemmaUK

There have been alot of people on here who have commented on the fact their speedo's or bike computers are unreliable and can be a pain to setup and troubleshoot...

here is a slightly more high tech idea...

purchase a cheap bluetooth GPS (the Holox model off ebay works great)
get hold of a second hand or buy a cheap WM5/WM6 or Symbian mobile phone and bike holder..

You might think it strange that I have suggested a mobile phone and not a traditional GPS but consider...

Most smartphones are able to act as MP3 players, phones, GPS headers all in one and a second-hand one in good condition is cheaper and more fuctional than an expensive GPS

My current system is as follows:

HTC S710 WM6 smartphone as header with MP3 functionality
Holox bluetooth GPS
freeware GPS software called gpsVP with readily available FREE GPS
UK specific maps.

I tend to have the phone in a holder which I have modified and the GPS in one of my pockets...

So far it works great :D

Jemma xx

Hey Jemma, could that also be used as a lo-jack device, given it has gps, provided you could conceal the unit say, in the tank of your bike? Just curious...

Saaaaay, I NEED one of those......considering I get lost going to the bathroom. :oops:

Hey Jemma, could that also be used as a lo-jack device, given it has gps, provided you could conceal the unit say, in the tank of your bike? Just curious...

Theoretically the GPS receiver could be detectable assuming two things..

firstly that in the storage locker of my bike it may or may not pick up signal

second that you have software that will identify a/the GPS receiver individually.

There is also a problem that there is anything between a 10ft to 100ft accuracy which means you'd need to be able to get access to somewhere to search for the bike (assuming they are both together at the time and the bike hasnt been disassembled for parts).

Jemma xx

Back