Grand national clone? where to start

Will'smotobikes19

Since I cannot afford my favorite car I had an idea to clone one. I've found a website that sells repro parts but I also want it to have a little more power than a stock grand national. Is a T72 turbo possible? stock had a T66. What size injectors are best? any info is appreciated. Can an 86' Buick regal base model 3.8 be beefed up to take boost? Someone is selling this regal for $2,000 but I think its too much as it doesn't even run and he says the trans is bad? " Has a v6 the starter is bad and the tranny is shot needs passenger door and some body work on lower quarters 2,000 obo" what should I offer.

regal.jpg

Last edited:

FNTPuck

Anything is possible with the right budget and fab work. Too many unanswered questions here though...

Turbo size will depend on engine size and goals (max hp, where you want it to start making boost, peak boost desired, etc), injector size will depend on you HP goal and fuel system pressure, and as far as upgrading the engine depending on how much boost and HP you plan to make the motor may be fine as-is or need a full forged rotating assembly.

Need to sit and honestly answer your goals, budget, and use of the vehicle before modding it. For a mild 7psi boost daily driver you may not need anything besides a boost controller and slightly larger injectors and a tune. For a big boost monster you could need forged crank and rods, low comp pistons, head work, and massive injectors. It all depends.

Spare_Parts

I could tell you plenty but won't because a GN frame says metric and I know you hate metric!

Tip, the caddy 4.1 is a bored Buick 3.8.

Will'smotobikes19

Ya I would want it as stock first. Maybe some emblems and cosmetics wheels maybe then work on it later on. The starter and transmission are first. I would probably have enough to work on a car project instead of bicycles if I had saved my money and not bought crap parts.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

The 3.8T is a different animal than the regular 3.8. About all they share is the block, it's not just a turbo bolted on grampa's V6.

Tip, the caddy 4.1 is a bored Buick 3.8.
I have to admit, you gave me a WTF moment here, I thought you were either mistaking Cadillac's HT4100 V8 with my favorite Buick engine, or making a pretty awesome unreliable engine joke. I have never seen the 4.1 V6, but I looked it up and it's called the LC4. I don't think we got those here in California!

Edit: check this out Will http://www.beforeblack.net/conversion.htm

Old Busted Hotness

Once you fix the trans and the starter, you'll find the fuel tank is rusty, the A/C blows warm, the carpet smells and the dome lights don't work, and and and... If you're okay with spending way more than it's worth, go for it. If you have the idea that you're gonna fix it fast and make a pile of money, just stop.

My advice would be to spend more and start with a better car. That one looks like it's been beat on.

Will'smotobikes19

Once you fix the trans and the starter, you'll find the fuel tank is rusty, the A/C blows warm, the carpet smells and the dome lights don't work, and and and... If you're okay with spending way more than it's worth, go for it. If you have the idea that you're gonna fix it fast and make a pile of money, just stop.

My advice would be to spend more and start with a better car. That one looks like it's been beat on.
The interior is clean no cracks on the dash as for AC wouldn’t mind. Not in it to flip it but build something that looks cool I can drive.

darwin

I'd keep it primered and just put enough into it to be a reliable driver. That's a cool body style and the inside isn't bad either if it's an upscale model. One big problem on those is the drivers door sagging from use and being so long and heavy, easy fix though.