Grand national clone? where to start

Old Busted Hotness

If you're okay with having way more money in it than it'll ever be worth, then go for it. I'm enjoying the hell out of my '88 Crown Vic, but I've got 10 grand in it, and 6 weeks worth of work.

GreasyChris

If you want to go fast right out of the box then I suggest a Taurus SHO. I had a 2011 Taurus SHO before the lady went thru the red light. Stock is 365hp and 365ftlbs to. I put a 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, and a tune from unleashed tuning on it bring it up to 500AWD hp and would run low 12 in the quarter at 111-13mph.
That car went like a scared cat. It looked like grandpas car but it would eat SRT8s. If you think your China girl is a money pit buy a GM and really find out how to waste money lol

Street Ryderz

If you want to go fast right out of the box then I suggest a Taurus SHO. I had a 2011 Taurus SHO before the lady went thru the red light. Stock is 365hp and 365ftlbs to. I put a 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, and a tune from unleashed tuning on it bring it up to 500AWD hp and would run low 12 in the quarter at 111-13mph.
That car went like a scared cat. It looked like grandpas car but it would eat SRT8s. If you think your China girl is a money pit buy a GM and really find out how to waste money lol
LOL there is no way a Tuarus SHO could beat our srt8 it runs 10's in the high 120's and our Hellcat runs mid 9's at 145-150, we come out and run at St Thomas quite often thru the summer and CJR perfromance will hold half a doz race days there as well.Last year we smoked all the street outlaw guys and took the mopar performance day fastest ET.We are doing your 111-113 at the 1/8 mile in around 6 seconds.https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo71MZ2hY04/

GreasyChris

LOL there is no way a Tuarus SHO could beat our srt8 it runs 10's in the high 120's and our Hellcat runs mid 9's at 145-150, we come out and run at St Thomas quite often thru the summer and CJR perfromance will hold half a doz race days there as well.Last year we smoked all the street outlaw guys and took the mopar performance day fastest ET.We are doing your 111-113 at the 1/8 mile in around 6 seconds.https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo71MZ2hY04/
Maybe not your srt8 but alot of stock ones I had no problem with. And a Hellcat is in a league all it's own. Anyways it was a fun sleeper that's for sure.

Street Ryderz

Maybe not your srt8 but alot of stock ones I had no problem with. And a Hellcat is in a league all it's own. Anyways it was a fun sleeper that's for sure.
Have you run at St Thomas raceway? I'm going to be taking the bike out there at the end of summer,they get a kick out of it there and at Cayuga my home track.

mark20

Since I cannot afford my favorite car I had an idea to clone one. I've found a website that sells repro parts but I also want it to have a little more power than a stock grand national. Is a T72 turbo possible? stock had a T66. What size injectors are best? any info is appreciated. Can an 86' Buick regal base model 3.8 be beefed up to take boost? Someone is selling this regal for $2,000 but I think its too much as it doesn't even run and he says the trans is bad? " Has a v6 the starter is bad and the tranny is shot needs passenger door and some body work on lower quarters 2,000 obo" what should I offer.

View attachment 87875
well, i would offer him 600$ for it.

your basically buying a body with a engine (with who knows how many problems)
i would do menitence before mods (make it drivable first, THEN stuff more power)

honestly, do you really need more power?

i would just put a quality aftermarket exhaust and call it a day. (if it sounds loud its fast right?)

the tranny is going to be your biggest problem, (time for a t56 🤔)
its going to cost you, but your transmission will never fail, (plus you get 3 more gears!)
or just replace it with a factory reproduction.

but, its your money, your choice,
me personally, im a jdm guy (those turbo civics are pretty fast!)

GreasyChris

Have you run at St Thomas raceway? I'm going to be taking the bike out there at the end of summer,they get a kick out of it there and at Cayuga my home track.
Yup that's where I go is st Thomas is about 20 mins away. Well if you're gonna run your bike there I would definately come out and probably bring my bike too. Im curious what it will do. Im sure I'll have it running really good by then.

Will'smotobikes19

Well the grand national is my favorite car which is why I'd like this car in the first place people build clones. I could only keep it stock to begin with motor and turbos are expensive. Don't think he's going to bite on $600 he's kept it at 2k for weeks. I think I saw that sho on Jay lenos garage. I think it was the ford shogun actually. I've had my eyes on a 650hp Th200 built transmission but it's $1,300.

GreasyChris

Well the grand national is my favorite car which is why I'd like this car in the first place people build clones. I could only keep it stock to begin with motor and turbos are expensive. Don't think he's going to bite on $600 he's kept it at 2k for weeks. I think I saw that sho on Jay lenos garage. I think it was the ford shogun actually. I've had my eyes on a 650hp Th200 built transmission but it's $1,300.
GNs were nice in their day. GM made a regular Buick regal with a 3.8 turbo so you could do a turbo regal and don't necessarily need to make it a clone. Id make sure the rear frame rails are still intact on the car before buying. That is where all the old 80s GM rot