Granny hoping to motorize an old vtt bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENSNATURAE

Local time
9:51 PM
I can see a lot of 2 cc kits to fix on almost any pushbike..under 100 £...and..there are a couple of how to vids on YouTube, can anyone tell me what the chances are for an ignorant granny to fit a small engine on an old but almost unused Peugeot pushbike, please? ..Its tough, around 22 years old and looks a bit like a vtt .. (that's to say ..for a zero experienced person, but with all faculties working ok)... I can do basic plumbing and electrical jobs, but never did car or motor bike repairs. Is it easy? The cheap motors..Amazon and EBay ...at that price...are they rubbish? Reparable?

FOR the most part quality is ok , however I have yet to do a bike biuld In such way there are ALWAYS some sort of fabrication , be it a hairpin , a shim , or a custom bracket. read up amd keep asking questions before you spend $$$ cuz it can add up FAST!!!
GOOD LUCK
WINDY CITY BOB

Thank you, Windy City Bob!!!...a bit anxious about the "fabrication"... But I suppose its best to make a start...and deal with difficult bits as they arise...they may never happen!!!....If the cheap motors are OK...its probably best to start there...If any of it needs welding or serious metalwork...that's where I'll stop...

i think you should post a picture of the Peugeot pushbike. i have no idea what a pushbike is and if fabrication is required than it might be a bit too much to ask. also, most cheap used bikes work too so an alternative can be easily and cheaply found.

i think you should post a picture of the Peugeot pushbike. i have no idea what a pushbike is and if fabrication is required than it might be a bit too much to ask. also, most cheap used bikes work too so an alternative can be easily and cheaply found.
British way of saying bicycle.

I think you should check the local laws first. Sure you can bolt an eBay engine kit straight on but it might not be road legal depending on your location. Also browse the forum and read the newbie threads, and read read read. It's free and people put a lot of time into posting about their knowledge and experience of this hobby so it would be a great waste to not spend at least a week of evenings reading about the possibilities and pitfalls. And remember that Peugeot bicycles weren't intended for motored use so wear a helmet. ;)

How many cops are going to pull over an old lady?
hahahaha!!! Precisement!!!..also...if they do...I'm an English granny trying to speak French....
They used to stop me driving my car...totally innocent of any road crimes, I asked why...They said...I drive so carefully, they were sure I must be drunk. (No ...I wasn't...just cocoa/Horlicks)...

Many thanks, peeps, for every thought.
Yes, my Peugeot is a 20 year old, fake vtt..road bike..very chunky tyres..but stoopid heavy...Almost never ridden. I don't know what its made of...I think ALU. Not sure...
ANYWAY.....I'm afraid it won't do...I measured it ....and the crossbar...is kind of lower than usual, so it must have been one of the first bikes this millennium.. to be IDd as 'unisex'....
THATS TO SAY...there's no freakin room for a motor... This is a massive disappointment.
I know...if I e-bike (yep, got an e- but not a good solution for de-motorised seniors...the batteries don't last for a return journey...camping over night on a traffic island in town...while battery plugs in to lights,..not allowed)...if...as I was saying...I ebike to town and buy a second heavy duty push/pedal velo bike...in the recycle shop...(around 20-40 euros)...there's no way to bike back..and its about 20 kms.
The Peugeot is a tough bike...looks like noo. A waste to trash it.. Or...use the ebike frame..
Might be wrong size...
WHAT ABOUT REAR MOUNTED MOTORS? RUBBISH? DIFFICULT TO USE?
DO THEY WORK BY TYRE FRICTION? THAT SOUNDS PRIMITIVE...
YES..good idea to ask the peeps who are doing their first conversion...but Id appreciate the expert view of rear mounting...
OR!!!...just thought of something else...D'ya suppose its very hard to *fix two bikes together* ...by bolting them, I mean...not welding.... And build a *Tuktuk*?!
Those things like taxis, in India. That's what I would like best.a 4 wheeler..
..and then build it a lightweight cover...like a tiny car..to keep the rain out...
Two bikes..
that's..the one Peugeot ..too small for motor..
Plus.. one I can get cheap, in the recycle shop.
.....similar size..to fix with...80cc?? Motor...
Steel arm connections bolted to frames..
.synced steering..(I guess that might be quite easy)....
Matching tyres.
Lightweight, globe hood...
Is that impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back