grease and wheel bearings

dirty

Local time
1:42 PM
got an old dumpster bike and when i cleaned the wheelbearings and repacked them with grease i had an idea. i drilled a tiny hole in the hub and cleaned up the shavings. i remounted the wheel and with a needle grease gun tip, i shoved it in the hole i drilled and grease the bearings that way. i go a hundred miles or so and give it another squirt. easy way to make sure bearings have enough grease

Did you thread the hole??? So you can screw in a plug of some sorts??

That's probly not a bad idea, really... if it were plugged.

grease

you can very easily tap and thread the hub, the hub i have is too narrow. a grease zerk would hit the axle. but the newer hubs i have seen are thicker. i just throw a piece of electrical tape to seal hole for now. i just thought this was a much easier way to grease the bearings

nifty :)

old sturmey archers had lil oil ports with lids...even suntour i think...

waht can be had, probably on fleabay... see them on lathes and mills. little brass inserts with a spring loaded ball in them. not sure what youd call them... but if its a steel hub youd solder them in place, or alloy...dunno? lol...

ima gunna go search!

and theres grease nipples...

In the 90's WTB and probably others had fittings on their mountain bike hubs that were made to be greased with a micro tip grease gun. The problem was, just adding grease doesn't get contamination/dirt out and they discontinued it and went with sealed bearings.

This belongs in the general bicycle maintenence and modification section. I agree, periodic greasing the bearings is a fine idea. They should also be cleaned and repacked on a regular basis.

Back