Great gas mileage for 4/12 months

AlexClink

Local time
1:23 PM
Hi I'm Alex.. I live in michigan. I just bought my first kit and bike... (first bike with the intention of putting a kit on it). I'm not really much of a bike rider because I didn't really have a bike until now (at least since I was little). After searching for a good bike to get me back and forth from work during the non-snowy months (when gas prices are the highest) I stumbled on a motorized bike on youtube. I thought it looked really cool, so I decided to get myself a bike and a kit. My budget was pretty low so I went with a $115 kit on ebay and a $85 26" Men's cranbrook from walmart (huffy). I really like the old style look (or sudo-old style). I haven't finished the installation just quite yet, but I can't wait to get it on the road. I've done almost everything beside putting the sprocket on and installing the fuel switch and chain... the instructions I got weren't extraordinarily clear, but I couldn't really expect that, I guess. It's sort of self-explanatory anyway. If anyone had any pictures of my particular setup that would help clarify some things I'd really appreciate it :). For now, I'm just itching to get it going.

So, that's my story... Hello everyone.

Welcome! Sprocket install is the worst part of the job, but not too bad. Get it rolling and post up some pics! I like the retro look too, but the speed bug has bitten, so I just built a lighter and faster one too :)

For the sprocket, you just make a sanwich, it goes sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plate, and bolt it all together, keep an eye on the alignement and make sure it rolls straight. Loop the chain around and get it snug, then use the tensionor mounted on the rail to keep it tight. Check out my album link, has some pics of the setup too!

Welcome to MBC.

Sprocket installation is going to be a problem for you; they usually don't clear the hub of a coaster brake. Or, I should say, they don't clear the dust cap that covers it.

Here's how I got around that. I clamped the sprocket down on my workbench and laid the dust cap over it, as centered as possible by eye. (centering is important!) Drew a line with a sharpie for my new hole. Using a jig saw I made one cut after another from the existing hole out to the line. Ended up with a bunch of small "teeth" on the inside edge. Cut off these teeth with the jig saw. I imagine I probably smoothed them with a dremel tool as well. It works well enough. I've put a lot of miles on the bike.

If I had to do it again, though, I think I'd just take the sprocket and dust cap to a machine shop and ask them to match the two. That'd be the safe way. But a lot would depend on the price. If it could be done for 15 or 20 bucks I'd go ahead. But I might pass if it was going to be, say, $80.

just do it the easy way and take off the dust cap,the sprocket slides right over hub and fits perfect.and no the coaster brakes does not need to be bent,the sprocket/bolts will clear it.

Back