Great Weather

CENTURION

Local time
4:15 AM
Great weather here 65F, hasn't been dry or warm in months. Had a chance to run my FD bike, got the carb cleaned up on this German motor and it winds up pretty good now. Different sensation than the in frame bikes, almost feels like you have a small jet engine strapped to the back of your bike:eek: I notice at high RPM up around 30 MPH it seems to fourstroke, or the clutch is slipping a bit, or the roller is starting to float, only on flats and when you have it pegged. On hills it's pulling very hard with no hesitation. I've experimented with roller pressure and tire pressure, still does it. My Solex will four-stroke if you try and push it too hard, say down a hill. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• FR1.jpg
    FR1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 141
Great weather here 65F, hasn't been dry or warm in months. Had a chance to run my FD bike, got the carb cleaned up on this German motor and it winds up pretty good now. Different sensation than the in frame bikes, almost feels like you have a small jet engine strapped to the back of your bike:eek: I notice at high RPM up around 30 MPH it seems to fourstroke, or the clutch is slipping a bit, or the roller is starting to float, only on flats and when you have it pegged. On hills it's pulling very hard with no hesitation. I've experimented with roller pressure and tire pressure, still does it. My Solex will four-stroke if you try and push it too hard, say down a hill. Any Ideas?
Just a thought...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-125035.png
    Screenshot_20220305-125035.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
Well.. it's always something.

I am pleased to see my zenoah still fire up second pull after it front flipped with my bike and I. Couple scratches on the airfilter no biggie.

:eek: I notice at high RPM up around 30 MPH it seems to fourstroke, or the clutch is slipping a bit, or the roller is starting to float, only on flats and when you have it pegged. On hills it's pulling very hard with no hesitation. I've experimented with roller pressure and tire pressure, still does it. My Solex will four-stroke if you try and push it too hard, say down a hill. Any Ideas?

30 mph is top speed for that FD and probably all she want's to do anyways, you should be happy with that

I'm with @Wrench on that, probably all she's got. Have you ever put a little tuning tach on it and see what the max no-load rpm is on it?

On a nice long flat if I feather the throttle in, it will spike up to 34 MPH, this is a 2.5HP 2 cycle engine with a pretty large roller. I don't use this bike for those types of speeds, it cruises nicely at 20-25 MPH. I think the clutch slips a little at that wheel speed. My 50 year old Solex will hit 22 MPH on a flat, and never exhibited that characteristic, but the clutch is built really stout on those bikes. I don't think the clutches on these equipment type engines were ever made for that level of wheel speed.

Generally when they 4stroke the engine has unloaded. Apply some brake to load it and see if it stops. My Echo will do that if it encounters a bit of down hill, smooths out when the load increases.

Generally when they 4stroke the engine has unloaded. Apply some brake to load it and see if it stops. My Echo will do that if it encounters a bit of down hill, smooths out when the load increases.
Thanks, that makes sense. When I come out of a turn and hit the power it really comes alive. I also suspect this Solo engine is finicky on the age of the gas, and the mix, needs to be fresh, and oil right on the money. This 2 stroke has a lot of power for a small engine.

Is it a gallon in for riding yet? How much time, or miles has it had so far?

Back