Greeting to all.

longslide10

Local time
3:36 AM
Good morning from north-west Georgia. I've traded for a new engine kit, sight-unseen. Looking forward to a new project when I can finish up a few that are underway. Just rebuilt a 10hp, single cylinder diesel engine on a generator. (Oh, yeah. I'm thinking small motorcycle frame for a diesel project in the future.) Helping my son-in-law rebuild the engine in his newly-acquired '66 Mustang convertible right now.

Came across this forum and thought it would be a good idea to see what all you good people were doing before I select a bike and get started.

Thanks in advance for all the info and ideas!

Longslide10

Greetings to you, too, and welcome to MBc, Longslide. Now that you have introduced yourself, be sure to read all you can, including the 'Stickies' at the top of every Forum. They contain a lot of information. For example, Sticky #1 under "Introduce Yourself" has 20 or so links to “How To…” threads, and important pages for you to follow. Sticky #3 has info on Forums...how you are expected to conduct yourself, and where you might find and use various features. However, read all of them, and be sure to use the search feature. Almost every question you might have has already been asked and answered someplace here. If you are still stumped with a certain problem, post your question in the proper Forum and I am sure you will get an answer. Good Luck to you.
Patrick

Last edited:
Here are important questions to consider when building for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
3) What will the rider's local laws allow them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)
4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
5) What is the bike to be used for?
6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build?

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building. We're here to help with any questions you may have. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the welcome.

I've already learned quite a bit from what I've read here. First, my excitement ebbed a little when I found out the kit I had traded for was a PowerKing PK80 and that they don't seem to have a very good rep around here. Most of the posts I've found are several years old.

I think I'll take advice found here and break it down, clean, check, and replace as needed before I actually install it.

A couple of things have caught my attention that I haven't had the time to research yet:
1) Jackshaft. If it's what I think, that might be very interesting.
2) Expansion bottle. Not quite sure what that's about yet.

As to your list:

1) I'm in north Georgia. Not really mountains but there isn't a great deal of flatland around here.
2) I'm down to 227 pounds and counting. My usual ride is a Road King Classic when the weather permits. (Twin Cam 88 with the 95ci big bore kit.)

I haven't bought a bike to put it on yet, (That's why I found this forum.) and I'm just building it for the fun of it. My bother offered me the new kit he had bought a few years ago as payment for a lawnmower and I thought it would be an interesting project.

I saw a motored bike downtown today. It was an old black cruiser with chrome fenders. Looked pretty good!

Last edited:
Back