Greetings from Calgary

CalgarysFool

Local time
2:47 AM
Please allow me to introduce myself/
I'm a man (without) wealth and charm....

I couldn't resist paraphrasing the Rolling Stones song.

My name is Brenton, I live and work in Calgary, AB, and came across this forum after reading a piece in the local paper about electric bikes as an alternate method of commuting. Cheep, fun, green, and as traffic congestion only increases, sure to become increasingly time-effective as well as cost-effective.

I am seriously considering changing up for my 11 km commute to work. I'm open to gas or electric options. I must say how impressed I am by you courageous home builders, and such nice results on so many of them.... I don't think I want to build my first one, at least.

Those spooky bikes, over on the left of the screen, look very nice to my eye. I'm surprised they are so affordable. I've read favorable comments.

I look forward to learning more from the collected wisdom here. Hope you all have a fine fine day.

Regards,

Brenton

hey Brenton, welcome aboard
there is a lot of info here, as you've, no doubt, already noticed.
good luck and happy motoring

Hey, Nun-ya-bi'ness,

Thanks for the welcome. A lot of info indeed. So much to sift through, I think I'll just post 40 or 50 questions instead.... ;-)

I'm delighted to have found my way here, have already learned some good stuff from lurking and searching for a week or so, and look forward to maybe being able to participate here in a meaningful way before too long.

Cheers,

Brenton

hey fool; welcome. dont be intimidated some kits like gebe and staton can be ridden within an hour of opening the box. i am biased but i believe either with a subaru arethe nuts and they are 4 stroke and more expensive. you will get what you pay for. good luck. mitch

Hey Aaron,

I just saw your post 10 seconds ago, and was gonna email you... Pretty funny.

I've read a few comments that their customer service is outstanding, and a couple comments that their bikes are nice.

I've also read they use Happy Time engines and, elsewhere, that "Happy Time" must be what Freud called a "reaction formation" -- sad time? Put me outta my misery now time? Pretty crummy.

Anyway, I wrote to the Spooky lads to enquire -- of course they will reiterate what's on their site -- they've picked engines that are reliable.

But I'm pretty much ready to order one of those sweet chrome dresser models. I just wanna do my due diligence first.

Anything you've learned would be welcome news to me, as I'm brand new to this.

Cheers,

Brent

I'm going to order an engine from spookys and put it on a bike from walmart probably I'm not to big on thier models on spookys..and prices of the bikes lol but the low riders are pretty cool, I've heard tons of people got happy time engines im just not shure how good they are...

Aaron

Greets dude

welcome to ...the forums

I am in calgary also

I ride around on a stretched OCC.....dont do electric....as far as im concerned ...they fer the old folks and clowns...serious..only people i see using electric bikes are old people....and a clown had one on 8th ave during stampede....now gas engines are fer US..:)).... get an 80cc cops cant tell the diff :)

if u wanna see my bike...leave me a message......and one weekend u can check it out.....

example

if i say go fer a ride..from anderson station to the airport....Electric bike never make it unless carry many extra batteries....gas engine ..there and back with gas to spare :) weeeeee and with electric u will be pedaling alot more

a pic from the bikes construction phase :) http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chopperred002kb1.jpg

maddy

you can buy that black chopper in calgary in yellow or black at custommotorizedbicycles.net i think fer 350$....if yer into choppers....no shocks so is like riding a horse....hay horses are fun!!!

Last edited:
Hey Maddy

Thanks for your reply. That bike looks really nice -- All you need now are some "highway pegs" to get your legs up, to reduce your drag profile. While I like the look, I think it's a bit young for my almost 45 years.

That black engine looks especially good with the black bike!

As I'm new to all this, can you tell me how does local law enforcement respond to you? And are you allowed to ride on bike paths, or do you have to keep away from those?

I'm seriously looking at the Spooky bikes for my first MB. Plan to commute from Brentwood to Rockyview Hospital where I work.

Good advice on the electrics. Thanks. I think I'll pretty much strike those off my consideration list at this point.

Regards,

Brenton

nd are you allowed to ride on bike paths
+ cruising at 40-45km an hour is no place fer a bike on the paths..roads get u there faster

NONONON
even electric arent to go on those

I do however after 11pm go riding on those paths hehe ME BAD!!!!....but they pretty **** empty...and i got nice lights..so i love riding the paths late at night..ussually get home at about 1am

and hey im 42....dont act yer age !!!!

im 29!!!!

the cops have never stopped me once or any of my friends(2) 80 cc riders

Maddy

in alberta what I am riding is concidered a POWER BICYCLE
50cc max speed 35km no reg, No licsence...No insurance....Cough!! :)

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Back