Greetings from New Mexico

ABQ56

Local time
1:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to this hobby and will not take delivery of my motorized recumbent until next week. I ordered a Sun EZ-Sport AX (aluminum frame) with a drive kit from Golden Eagle. I chose the Tanaka PF4000 2-stroke as it seems be easy to use and maintain and has a fair amount of power. It's also EPA and CARB Tier 2 compliant. After a bit of research, I think this combination will work out well for my 7-mile commute to work. It's all downhill getting there, but a challenging climb for the last mile going home.

I haven't bought a new bike for over 30 years so I still need to buy lights, a good cable/locking system and maybe a cover. I also plan to look into a faring to cut down wind resistance and wind-chill as the weather gets colder.

Depending on how noisy the engine is when I get it, I was thinking about an additional muffler - something that would be light weight, not restrict cooling or create back-pressure on the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

A faring will make the ride a lot more comfortable at speed. If you do a search for muffler, you'll probably find a lot of threads on the subject. I haven't seen anything truely satisfactory yet.

Faring and muffler

Hi Alaskavan,

I've been looking at the Windwrap website and I like the designs and their 15% stated reduction in wind resistance, but I'll hold off on the $300 purchase until the weather starts getting colder. The price seems a bit steep. In fact, I wasn't certain how long I can ride once winter sets in. I'd think the wind chill would be really uncomfortable.

As you suggest, I'll search for "mufflers" and see what I can find.

Thanks

I use a Windwrap GX. I built my own mounting brackets. If you've looked at them, you probably know that the mounts are a lot of the cost. If you decide to get a faring, I could post some pictures (when I get another camera) to show you how I mounted it.

Na, you are not gonna need another muffler. The one that comes with it will work quite well. And it has the catalatic converter in it.
However,
Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

RE: muffler

Hello dbigkahunna,

You're probably right about the muffler. It wouldn't be necessary if the engine isn't too loud. I'll find out when I get the bike this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

Back