Greetings from NJ everybody!!

WhizBangAndy

Local time
11:38 PM
Hello to all!

Im an expatriated GruBee Distributor in NJ. Got 2 bikes with kits. One is the "80cc" on a Huffy Mountain bike and another is a Fuji Beach Cruiser with a 48cc.
Look forward to meeting with like minded folks..

Hello and welcome to MBc! good luck and we have a vendor area if you wish to display your wares...enjoy the forum and the ride!

Somebody from the hilbilly end of NJ!
Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

He sure does/did depending on what model or where you live on this blue marble..lol

Here in New Germany..ahem..Jersey we cant ride without risking license and seizure of the bike. Would be nice if the DMV could make up their mind about what it is so I can register it.

Im about half tempted to mount a 49cc(110cc..hehe) Lifan engine from a pocket bike on a Workman Bicycle and get it registered as a homemade motorcycle. Should be good for at least one hospital stay..lol At least the DMV will let me register that..lol

Hey WhizBang - since I posted my response last May, I have gotten into these things in a big way. I've actually sold 75+ engine kits and several assembled bikes. The Grubee 2 stroke kits are available here in the USA again after they jumped through the necessary hoops for EPA approval. These are the ones that I will be ordering in quantities this season.

When I asked the DMV office in Burlington, the supervisor there said that a bike with an engine attached to it was regulated by my town, not the DMV. I called my local police and asked if they banned motorized bikes, and they said no. (but they do ban pocket bikes and gopeds) Customers in Hamilton, Lawrence, Princeton, etc. have called their local police and have gotten similar answers. To my knowledge, nobody has been hassled by the cops. I see them all the time as I putt-putt at about 20mph. Most just smile and maybe even wave. I have gotten pulled over on my Lifan CT-70 replica (licensed and insured!) but never on the motorized bike! Go figure.

hey wizbang,

I just finished my motorbike and called the dmv to register it as a moped, which all my motorcycle training said was what to do. They said that due to the increse in these motor kits being installed and the fact that they are homebuilt they wanted nothing to do with them becuase of the liability. So as of last summer it counts as just a bike. I asked if it's just a bike why can't I ride the bike path? They didn't know so I asked who enforces the bike path rules so I could ask them and they said no one does. So without registering it I have been given a free ticket to ride as long as none of the local police decide I am a public nucense (however it's spelt). Hopefully they will go the way of the bike in your town.

Back