Greetings from NYC

LPisGood

Local time
10:44 PM
Hello everybody - I'm not sure how active this site is, but hopefully there are some of you who check in from time to time cuz I need some advice.

I'm in the market for a motorized bike. Either an engine kit for my old Marin, or an entire bicycle WITH the engine. I need something gas powered, preferably something that runs on regular unleaded 87. I also need it to be relatively quiet, so I'm sure this excludes many models. Other than that, I suppose life expectancy would be important - don't want it dying on me in the next year or two. I'm also curious about what to watch out for - (i.e. vibrations completely destroying the frame or shaking loose various nuts and bolts)

Finally, I may eventually want to tow some equipment - so the engine should be strong enough to carry a total (myself + tow) of maybe 300 to 400 lbs.

Any info would be appreciated. Especially from locals who've been riding around NYC.

Thanks y'all!

LP

Welcome to MBc. Sounds to me like you should look at either Staton-Inc., or Golden Eagle. Both are known for quality and reliability. They also both have a range of gearing options. Don't bother with friction drive if you are going to be towing (my opinion).

I read that NYC are not very MB friendly. A new Yorker will come along and give us better details.

oh, shoot...i have to pimp this one...because it's the city-commuter i've been (philosphically) after from day one...those who know me know i'm sincere.

hiya, LP...i strongly suggest you consider a golden eagle with a 25cc robin subaru, 35cc for the trailer gig...that will be about as light a rig as you'll find anywhere...4-stroke is good for bummin' a cuppa gas, etc...if you don't mind mixing 2-stroke fuel, i bet you'd love a tanaka on those mean streets.

do your homework, learn about safety-fying a bicycle for high-speeds, read and learn...

welcome aboard :cool:

Last edited:
Wow, much thanks to all of you already...was not expecting such fast responses. Anyway, I've been reading and doing my homework, but there is still a lot to be learned...sooner or later I'm gonna have to just make a decision, buy one of these suckers, and report back to y'all. I can't wait much more than 2 more weeks to own one of these. The bug bit me, and I think about it all the time now...it just makes so much sense in the city.

Cheers!

Back