Greetings from the Unemployed in MI with the tradional newbee questions

bseelbach

Local time
9:51 PM
So....... approaching 35 and unemployed for a couple months. I used to be in the auto industry and by definition I have an engineering background (in conjunction with management). I find myself with TONS of time on my hands and have been getting restless. I've done some of the honey-do list but still get bored with that. I've been trying to be more healthy and ride my bike (20-40miles a couple times a week) and saw one of these THINGS a couple weeks back. Like most I have been lurking in the dark and reading all of the posts. I was gung ho for a week and let it die for a bit to appease the wife but this looks like fun! I'll still ride a normal bike but these look like good cheap fun!

For the legal reasons ( not to mention that there seems to be little performance upgrade and more vibration with a 66cc), I think I'm leaning towards a slant 49cc steel sleeve, integrated carb from Boy Go Fast. Any objections or concerns?

I weigh just under 200 and agree with most that 25 or so is a logical max for a bike. Well I'm planning to order a kit tomorrow before we go on vacation so its here when we get back. B'day is in August so I suspect if I get totally immersed in this that Ill get the SBP shift kit then.
Not sure on the bike yet. I have a nice late 90's steel GT MTB Ricochet and am on the fence. If i find a good deal on Craigslist then I'll pick up something for the MB otherwise I have a good doner bike but that means I need to spend another $700?? for a daily rider. I like the cruiser style and the Schwinn (Del Mar, etc) are cheap BUT I worry about that. From the get go you can tell the differences between a cheap bike and a quality bike. I worry that will only get worse with the wear that is put on these.

QUESTIONS: 1) any recent concerns with Boy Go Fast 2) is there significant consensus that I should go 66cc (with or without SBP shift kit) 3) does the group think that the new design of integrated carb and steel sleeve is too new that its not proven? Appreciate any and all comments (or job leads)

Might check vendors reviews.
Welcome to the site. info on where and not to go.
Which vendor stands behind their product. And who won't.
I like the slant head . Under 50cc is the cut of point for legal motorbike enging size in most places.

http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

this link will help you a lot. Then checkBGF in vendor review.
Good luck with your project.

Those low end Schwinn 7 speeds (Jaguar-Target, Pointe Beach-WallyWorld, Del Ray- where ever they sell them ?? ) are popular starter bikes, the frames will hold up. It's safer than buying "used" and finding the motor won't fit.

They need saddle upgrades pretty quick. Then as you go along, you can swap out for bigger pedals and a bigger front sprocket.

The next step up in my pricing ladder are the Sun's, in the $300-350 range.

All bikes need a new rear wheel ($50), and tubes ($10).

That is about it to get running safe and confidently.

Alright

I apreciate your response as well an bacing of lower end bike BUT 2nd I don"t think hand bikes are bad if you know what your doing,. Correct me if If wrong but a 50-100 used (quality 500+ in its day) that needs a few cables and truing is still a better long term bet than the $89 weekly sale at X?

Sure, you can find used bargains, just avoid lightweight aluminum frames and single speeds models, (hand brakes are a plus). You have to have enough clearance between the rear stays to fit your beefed up wheel.

Search for 2.25 tires on a used bike, for the best potential.

But the back end of the Schwinn cruisers is a guaranteed fit for most, from the Happy Times sprockets all the way up to the GEBEs spoke rings.

Shift kit all the way! I am very happy with my zoombicycle 66cc kit, and breaking 50MPH is a kick too!

Go mulitgear, get the best bike you can buy, and have fun! Good luck on the job hunt too!

welcome
check boygofast out in the reviews
there was something floating around a while back regarding their
boygonotthatfast -- not talking about speed here...

hey -- then again I think that everyone deserves another chance
how many times have we been perfect ????

MM

Back