Greetings..working on second MB

Dagwood

Local time
1:11 PM
OK..here is my introduction...hmm..not sure what is required here..A resume? or request list? well..recieved my AE degree back in 77 at Spartan in okla..and pilots license..been building Exp aircraft for 30 some years..completed and flown 5 so far..I have been Employed by a engine distributor for..hmm..19 years now as an application engineer..(hope to retire right here) Just finished a MB for my wife using a Honda GX31.( my avatar).and now building one for myself. still considering engine choice and reduction method, Which brings me here! I know I will get alot of good info,..so thanx in advance!

Attachments

• finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Nice build, Dagwood. Right here, all we are asking for is that you introduce yourself, which you have done quite well. Be sure to read all of the rules and stickies, and follow those links in the stickies that will lead you to the in depth building help, and pictured instructions. Good Luck.

Thx Patrick for the encouragement. IN just browseing here..(for hours) i have already learned a tremendous amount. It is forums like these, in which builders share their experience with others, that makes building time much more productive. Avoiding unknown pitfalls, evaluating un-tried products, and shareing of ideas and design.
I thank all responsible for the creation of this site and its management.

Hello and welcome to MBc. I like what you did with the Honda and the Staton box. I'd like to see a pic from the other side sometime. Looks like you'll have no problem coming up with something equally nice for yourself. Ride safe.

Last edited:
more pics

OK HV...here are a few more photos of the build..and thanx for the kind words!
After my wife rode it the first time..she came back and complained of the vibration...so I rode it and realized right away the very high frequency vibes would give the pilot tingle-butt in short order..so I redid the engine mounts to incude 3 barry mounts along 3 different Axis's and that did the trick. Its smooth as silk now. Clutch is fully engaged at 5 mph..so it goes real slow, which is a mission requirement for a campground bike, with top speed of 17mph...which she says is to fast... typically her fastest speed is about 10 or 12 mph the way she rides..so it worked out perfect. Engine runs at medium rpm level at that speed and is fairly quiet, which also is a mission requirement for a campground bike...plus...geared this low...it will easily pull a huge rider or a very steep hill effortlessly. NOw..the second build..for me, will require a slightly faster top speed...but not much..maybe 20 or 25 and I will be happy. BUt it still will need to have a fully engaged clutch speed of around 5 for me to be happy ...So I am looking at a CVT and a larger engine..I have a GX 100GC160 in my collection, and one of those will likely be the engine. I dont want the weight of a GX160 or a clone..so the GC160 would be the largest I will consider.....well...so far....(grin) Cause if I decide to go larger...I will just go all the way to a honda GX620 or GX670 v-twin, since I have a couple of those....I am trying to resist that temptation as the frame would have to grow considerably, along with the weight!...maybe on the 3rd build?????hehe

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 100
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2234.JPG
    IMG_2234.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 129
Nice. That's baking from scratch. I'd be interested to know what tubes you're using and if you use a jig. Guess that airframe experience comes in handy, lol.

Engines and drive trains. I like the low speed gearing, that's what MABs are all about IMO. Faster, ride the motorcycle. Where I live the regs for MABs are under 2 HP/50cc and top op speed of 25, capable of 30. The Staton gearbox is hard to beat. I have a pocketbike CVT that is for low HP, next in line heavier is the Comet TAV torque converter.

Well HV, you are asking for some confessions here..sortof...so here some of the results of my in-experience. or my path to education as I like to say!
ON the tube question, I used a mix of leftover stuff from previous airframe builds. Some 1 in .065 4130, some 1 in. .065 DOM 1030, some 1 in. .058 4130. What I think I learned is, .058 4130 would have been sufficient for all..and the 4130 bends easier than the DOM1030. Next build will be all 4130..might even drop to .049 on the next to save a little weight..dunno yet. After I slapped together an extended wheelbase /lowered seat pedal frame to see if I could do it, and test the dimensions I had in mind (sized for my wife, and sort of a proof of concept)..and it rode down the road sideways..I decided I needed a jig, so I built one..which is seen in the 2 pics. The jig helped keep the wheels/axles/ fork/neck/backbone/rear triangle straight and gave me some fixed points to measure from for symmetry. Worked much better. I unbderstand about the regs, and I debated on makeing this machine road legal for quite awhile, but decided it would just compromise the mission requirements and I kept on coming back to the point you made..We have 2 perfectly good motorcycles for riding on the road, and they dont do worth a durn in a campground going real slow. I even bought a Old Honda Twinstar 200 and restored it and used it for campground duty..but riding double in first gear (even with a smaller front sprocket) it just didnt fit the bill..hard to handle slow and engine would get hot.) So the inabilities of motorcycles was actually the justification to take on this project...why try and make my MB run like a motorcycle? So I didnt. We just wanted bikes we didnt have to pedal.

Back