Grinding fins off fuel tank

INTP_ty

Local time
7:12 PM
My knees keep catching on the tank during start up. Has anyone ground the fins flat & re-welded the tank? What would something like this cost if I took it to a welder?

a LOT & it probably would leak

I've ridden more than 1000 diff bikes and this never happened to me - must be bad tank location or something else is weird.

send a pic of bike - as maybe there isn't room in front & you'll need to move to a rack in back

Those flanges are what hold the top and bottom pieces of the tank together.

I could do it for you on one of my spare tanks. I'd cut the flanges off, weld the tank pieces together really nice, do all the filler and paint work, seal the inside and re-paint it for you any color you want! I'm busy right now so for a rush job, I'd estimate around $400 for labor and materials, I'll throw the tank in for free!

Those flanges are what hold the top and bottom pieces of the tank together.

I could do it for you on one of my spare tanks. I'd cut the flanges off, weld the tank pieces together really nice, do all the filler and paint work, seal the inside and re-paint it for you any color you want! I'm busy right now so for a rush job, I'd estimate around $400 for labor and materials, I'll throw the tank in for free!

I would have guessed $70-140 for the weld job ONLY

I have read about some people adding filler or putty or something like that to smooth out the shape, then painting over it. It doesn't make the tank narrower but it hides the ugly flange.
I don't like the stock tank either so I got myself a little plastic 1 litre tank and put it on the rear rack. It could have gone on the front though if I used a couple of automotive exhaust U-clamps to make the support bracket for it.

Back