grinding the welds: stones, burrs, single or double-cut?

augidog

Local time
2:47 PM
using a 1/4" shank die-grinder...

what's the most (overall) cost effective accessories to buy for finishing welds?

stones:
21PB72DPRHL._SL500_AA250_.jpg
or burrs
single-cut:
21HYGARNZJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
double-cut:
41ZNjBSlVJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The best way to finish welds is to start with ones you don't need to finish. ;) If you are brazing you can use dremel tools, files, sandpaper etc.

Bad welds

Talking about "bad welds"..Check out mine on ENO albums..Should I use a
stone to clean it up and will it effect the strength of the weld?

i'm gonna grind everything down to smooth fillets...i don't mind if i have to make a few passes until i get used to the materials & such, i have plenty of time.

i know a quality stone will take a nice bite, but i know there's a lot of wear.

a single-cut burr...are they really worth it, double-cut being not much more expensive? and speaking of expensive, burrs ARE! do they last long enuff to justify not just buying a big-lot of stones?

Sometimes I use use round and half round hand files. Start with a mill b_a_s_t_a_r_d and finish with a mill smooth file. You'd be surprised how quickly welds can be filed down with hand files if used properly.

d'oh!

iRide Customs said:
You'd be surprised how quickly welds can be filed down with hand files if used properly.
would it surprise you if i completely forgot i once knew that? thanks, dan...you're absolutely correct, and files are always affordable. i'll just keep a selection of stones around for the work they can do. hand-finishing my work sounds like fun, too :cool:

Hi Augi.

The stones will get "eaten up" in 2 minutes. The double burrs will be a better bet. I agree with iRide Customs about the files.

If your open to some tips and tricks here's a few.

Please! I don't want to get tagged at this site as a know it all. Believe me, I dont know **** about a lot of stuff. I have
been very lucky as a kid growing up hanging out in the garages of some of the best. I'd like to share. Id like others to pipe up and feed my brain also. lots of different ways to do something.

Come at it from another angle.
* Do your welding to the best of your ability.
* If your an average welder (like me most of the time) strength is better than looks.
* Use a hand size grinder (4.5") for your first pass.
* Touch up your welds "here and there" if need be.
* Come back with a good quality double cut burr or hand files and make it look presentable.

Then heres where the body work comes in. Believe me, its easier than you may think!
Find somewhere in your area that sells automotive quality spot putty like this. http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m750-6.aspx
* Use a dab on your finger and pull it around your joints/welds/scratches/pits in thin amounts/layers.
* Dries in 20 min, sand dab, sand dab etc. It's not like applying bondo. This stuff sands down fast.
* Keep it up until you start to smile at your weld dissapearing.
* Spray with sandable primer to bring out imperfections. Repeat above if need-be.

You can literally have all of your welds disappear in about 3 hrs. (Tops) Ready for full primer. (while drinking a few beers even)
This is how I made all of my mini choppers look so pretty. LOL I'm in the stages of doing this on my fat tire build. If you want to
take a "special build" to the next level its well worth it. If your a seasoned professional welder and want to show off your beads,
ignore the above. LOL

Attachments

• graucho_frame.jpg
    graucho_frame.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 974
  • welding_red_0xide_spot_filler.jpg
    welding_red_0xide_spot_filler.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,119
and there it is...i'll be referring to that post time & again, graucho, thanks.

i'm a middlin' welder who can get better, i know & can produce strength, but am usually too impatient for beauty...this will be a true test for me.

I use a combination of the above (and agree the stones are just for 'kissing' the final dress-up, they get eaten away way to fast otherwise), but I also use my die grinder with sanding cones and drums, when my compressor isn't up and running, I put the mandrel in my 3/8" drill motor and it works just the same as the die grinder. This is after rough filing with my round b_a_s_t_a_r_d file, and medium mill round. Starting with the sanding cones is the same as the stones it just eats up the cones and drums, which is a waste of money... I use quick set JB weld to do the bodywork trick mentioned above. Lately (since I've acquired the brazing set-up) I use the wire feed to spot weld strategically, then braze the rest; dress the weld from there as needed.:D

great post!
I was going to post a thread about the same issues with my crappy welds. Pictures will soon follow.

Mike

Back