grinding the welds: stones, burrs, single or double-cut?

Hi Augi.

The stones will get "eaten up" in 2 minutes. The double burrs will be a better bet. I agree with iRide Customs about the files.

If your open to some tips and tricks here's a few.

Please! I don't want to get tagged at this site as a know it all. Believe me, I dont know **** about a lot of stuff. I have
been very lucky as a kid growing up hanging out in the garages of some of the best. I'd like to share. Id like others to pipe up and feed my brain also. lots of different ways to do something.

Come at it from another angle.
* Do your welding to the best of your ability.
* If your an average welder (like me most of the time) strength is better than looks.
* Use a hand size grinder (4.5") for your first pass.
* Touch up your welds "here and there" if need be.
* Come back with a good quality double cut burr or hand files and make it look presentable.

Then heres where the body work comes in. Believe me, its easier than you may think!
Find somewhere in your area that sells automotive quality spot putty like this. http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m750-6.aspx
* Use a dab on your finger and pull it around your joints/welds/scratches/pits in thin amounts/layers.
* Dries in 20 min, sand dab, sand dab etc. It's not like applying bondo. This stuff sands down fast.
* Keep it up until you start to smile at your weld dissapearing.
* Spray with sandable primer to bring out imperfections. Repeat above if need-be.

You can literally have all of your welds disappear in about 3 hrs. (Tops) Ready for full primer. (while drinking a few beers even)
This is how I made all of my mini choppers look so pretty. LOL I'm in the stages of doing this on my fat tire build. If you want to
take a "special build" to the next level its well worth it. If your a seasoned professional welder and want to show off your beads,
ignore the above. LOL

Thanks Graucho for the tips and tricks.

Very informative.Never thought about the show quality autobody trick before.:D:D

Tomorrow I get my new TIG welder. Hopefully now I will not have to grind or smooth another weld. A lot more chromoly frames will be rolling out of the iRide shop as well...maybe even some aluminum stuff.

You guys already do beautiful work! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Congrats on the new welder. There's nothing holding you back now. Thats also one
of my dream tools. "Cats Meow" of frame welding. Enjoy.

wow, dan...that sounds like a giant leap forward...

yaknow, the iRide shop & my time there is where a lot of our inspiration comes from for the center...i still dig up those old topics sometimes. you showed me how easy the basic theory behind framing is, and also how rewarding good detailing can be. now i hope i can put 'em together like i see 'em in my mind :cool:

i hugged my welder, too!

i spent some time playing around with the MIG today (i scored a solar auto-darkening helmet on the cheap) and it's amazing how much flux-core has advanced...i'm pleased as punch with my beads, & don't expect to be doing any extreme grinding.

so, i'm going to rig up a coupla drop-out jigs out of axles on wooden blocks, mount them level and square on the table, and see what i can accomplish with the now retired & gutted "bluto" (just a big old diamondback) who's slated for a remake.

here's a hint: whatever it's new name, it'll be EZM-powered ;)

Augi, how do you go about picking a name for your bikes? On topic, what size wire do you use. .030......035? I ran out of my.035 stock a while back and I had 1 spool of .030 on hand. Its probably just me but I found it easier to handle. I wonder what others use/like? I almost don't want to go back to .035 for frames.

i'm using the included 1lb spool of .030, it seems ideal for the gauges we work with. but, i went with the more popular choice and bought 2 lbs of .035 and a card of tips for when this runs out. according to the attached heat-chart, the welder has a lowest setting that should be just right with it.

"sabrina-2" is named for a dear friend's (deanna, read about her in our rally threads) greyhound (sabrina)...sleek and able to lope all day. "bluto" just seemed right for the gebe/curry hybrid, whizzer fork, vintage-drum...big and clunky, solid but clumsy.

If I were you, I would try to make a jig out of metal. Yes you can get things pretty straight with wood but the accuracy and longgevity of the metal is worth it. Pictured below is the new jig I am using.

I don't know if they make a flux core in a smaller wire might be a little better for thin wall tubing that is used in frame building. With the ssmaller wire, you might be able to run the welder a little hotter as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_4343.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 430
  • HPIM1414.jpg
    HPIM1414.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 448
  • HPIM1417.jpg
    HPIM1417.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 403
  • HPIM1416.jpg
    HPIM1416.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 440
If I were you, I would try to make a jig out of metal. Yes you can get things pretty straight with wood but the accuracy and longgevity of the metal is worth it. Pictured below is the new jig I am using.

I don't know if they make a flux core in a smaller wire might be a little better for thin wall tubing that is used in frame building. With the ssmaller wire, you might be able to run the welder a little hotter as well.

WOW! That is just simply a beautiful set up! Only in my dreams. LOL

hey, wait a minute!

that's not the rig i saw...that's sweet!

i'd like to build one like you used to have, the telescoping rectangular steel...soon's the materials present themselves...meantime, i gotta get going on something, anything. so, using the simple method you showed me, i know i can build & lock down some jigs on a temporary basis.

i'm thinking i agree about the smaller wire but i'll only know for sure after i try some different sizes...it'll take .024/.030/.035 MIG, flux-core, or aluminum, reversable polarity, 4 heat settings, easy-setup for gas, napa just down the block has home-size bottles...it looks like i'm in for some fun :cool:

Last edited:
Back