Grooved piston & cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougsr.874

Local time
3:47 PM
What is the cause...rings are not broken, looks like some kind of object gets between piston & cyld.....but never find anything...what can be causing this

one, its a cylinder with a piston going up and down inside it. two, its a two stroke with holes in the cylinder...

"grooves" isnt much of a description... :rolleyes:

sounds like a bit of something got in there and went out the exhaust - could be OK now, but might also mean that the main bearings are coming apart if you see it happen again

Grooves are from just scratches to about 1/16 deep.....glad to know that a piston goes up & down in the cyld...what kind of statement is that???

Get or make a good air filter, the stock ones are not very good. Anydirt or sand that gets sucked into the intake will scratch the cylinder wall and/ or rings. Someone needs to come up with a better cylinder liner.

Grooves are from just scratches to about 1/16 deep.....glad to know that a piston goes up & down in the cyld...what kind of statement is that???

in my mind, its a similar statement to "my cylinder has grooves in it, what can be causing this"

absolutely no information, useless to try and analyse the issue, and basically stating the obvious :)

they ALL have some minor grooving... how groovy.

maybe, next time, youll ask...my cylinder has scratches that appear to be over a 1/16 deep in places. there are (one, several, whatever) scratches around the bore.

the rings appear intact.

should i overhaul it? what may have caused the scratches in the first place?

so. as stated.... it could just be dirt and the lack of airfilter, in which case, the whole engines rooted. the dirt goes through the crankcase first. it will be a mess. buy a new one.

it could be the lower bearings failing and spitting small chunks of steel up into the cylinder. split engine, new crankshaft cylinder...buy a new engine ;)

it could be the ring retaing pin has come loose, and that will definitely scratch the bore. but is the easiest of all to repair. just the piston and cylinder.

excess carbon cause you secretly have 25000km on the thing... wow. enter into the records and buy a new engine :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back