Ground Control To Major Staton

I got some hi quality black speaker wire. Its perfect. To further insulate everything, I covered the entire length in 3/16's black shrink tubing. This electrical system is gonna be hurricane proof. :D

Heres what the switch looks like. The twist throttle is the staton supplied one. I greased the insides so it moves freely. I also sanded the chrome hardware and painted it gloss black to match my bike. Picked up some adhesive-backed wire holders i will paint black and secure with some super glue and use with some black tie straps. The grips are 4.5 inch motocross grips secured with motocross grip glue.

Attachments

• bars1.JPG
    bars1.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 147
  • bars2.JPG
    bars2.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 152
I am in principle opposed to using the bike frame as a ground return,it raises the electrical EMI noise level,affecting tachometers and is not all that reliable either.Good electrical practice is to use a central ground point at the engine,and uses 2 conductor cable,ordinary appliance cord is fine,one is the ground return wire, it is only grounded at this common point.All connections should preferably be soldered,crimp connections, if any should be checked by pulling at the cable,to check for a loose connection.Shrink sleeving should be used to protect connections.This wiring system reduces the stray magnetic fields a lot,which are the main contributors to EMI.Kill switches should be of good quality and protected from moisture incursion,or be sealed.Never ever hook up a kill switch directly to the high voltage connection to the spark plug !,there are a couple of KILO volts there,very dangerous,any leakage to ground on this connection could also easily kill the spark and keep you from starting the engine.

Back