Grubee engager won't disengage

I

Irish John

My most recent Grubee gearbox won't disengage unless I get off and pull the engager lever back with pliers. I did crunch the engager when I engaged at revs during testing and it seems to have happened from then. I've stripped it but can't see the problem. The engager slides along the key way OK.
I have a few options:
I could grind a few mm off the engager teeth;
I could cut a little piece off the spacer bushing on the final drive shaft and put it on the other side of the final gear wheel to push it further out along the shaft so it disengages;
I'm flummoxed. Has anyone got any ideas?

Hey John it could be something with the key it slides on maybe has a nick in it or this may be binding or bent http://www.bicycle-engines.com/popup_image.php?pID=132&type=jpg

Yes I've thought about that. I looked at it and thought it looked OK but I didn't take the shaft out and test it which I should do. To get the shaft out do I just tap it through from the freewheel sprocket side? I've done it before twice but I forget. It takes quite a bit of force and I worry about the bearings but I have to get it out to check it thoroughly.

Yea but if you go to www.Grubeeinc.com total products 4 dtroke kits and then click on the 10T to 11T conversion kit link there is some pretty helpful stuff in there that may help I would put the link up but his site is funky and doesn't work like that.

Yea but if you go to www.Grubeeinc.com total products 4 dtroke kits and then click on the 10T to 11T conversion kit link there is some pretty helpful stuff in there that may help I would put the link up but his site is funky and doesn't work like that.

Yes that site implies that you should check the engager slides along the key before you insert the shaft in the bearing which therefor implies that I can't punch the shaft out from the freewheel sprocket side without stuffing up the bearing. That was my question - Can I punch the shaft out without stuffing the bearing and creating far worse problems?

Hey John it could be something with the key it slides on maybe has a nick in it or this may be binding or bent http://www.bicycle-engines.com/popup_image.php?pID=132&type=jpg

Yes Biketec you were right. I had to file the key and keyway to get it to work freely. There's hours of work doing this sort of thing just because those rice farmers can't get it right in the factory. I've never built a Grubee that I didn't have to re-engineer the shaft keys and keyways - especially the clutch keyways. I'd like them to pay me a few grand for all the work I've done.

Back