Grubee G4 kit mounted on Grubee bike with 1 piece crank

John: I have the three piece crank I got with my stage 3 grubee gearbox and the crank arms that came with it are about an inch shorter than the one piece like yours from the same place so that would give you another inch which may make the choke accessable

Irish John: could you elaborate on the pro's and cons you've discovered so far. I was looking forward to the 4g becomeing available in the US for the Honda motor. Do you think it would work well in conjunction with a 4 stroke shift kit that SBP's is working on.

The 4G doesn't fit a Honda because of the bolt-on to engine configuration. I also think that there is no reason for a 4-stroke shifter kit because they work fine without it. The guys with the NuVinci hubs & 4 stroke frame mounts don''t seem to get much advantage except they can follow a hearse up a very steep hill where the rest of us with single speed GBs would have to go faster to keep the motor in its power band. Shifter kits make sense on the HT motors because they might prolong their very short life by a certain amount but even then it is making a silk purse from a sows ear.
The question with this 4G is what sprocket to use because the 48T is too large. I'm using a 44T but haven't got it built yet. It certainly won't be too small a sprocket but it could be too large.
That's all I can tell you right now. Don Grube is working on custom made 3 piece cranks to fit this GB so they can take cruiser BBs and pedals and have normal length crank arms.
If you read this Forum Glacknoid you'll see that the single speed GB is fine on a frame mounted 4-stroke a shifter kit is just added complication for no real gain in my opinion.

John: I have the three piece crank I got with my stage 3 grubee gearbox and the crank arms that came with it are about an inch shorter than the one piece like yours from the same place so that would give you another inch which may make the choke accessable

It would but I don't like the cadence of the short stumpy crank arms. I would mount it higher and use the 1 piece until the special 3 piece is available.

Irish John;227233]You should post pictures of that choke Will. It might help other people.The belts are closer to the engine. You can see the belt in the picture next to the drive sprocket

When I get it finished I will post some pictures and explain what I have done.

I had looked at the picture and thought the belt drive looked more narrow.

Thank you for the clear information and the nice pictures. I found it interesting.

Ya, I've been getting along ok with my stage 3 grubee single speed but I always wear my headphones cuz the noise, though it's not as loud as it used to be it's still annoying, that's why I'm anxious to get one that's quiet and has a little more low end but with a potential to get up to a decent speed, that's what the shift kit would be nice for more low and high end gear range. Firebelly has a nice looking transmission but I want to compare and decide between it and the 4g.

Last edited:
I heard Don Grubee is comeing out with one for the honda and the prototype would be done in a few months. There's even some parts for the honda featured on his web site.

Ya, I've been getting along ok with my stage 3 grubee single speed but I always wear my headphones cuz the noise, though it's not as loud as it used to be it's still annoying, that's why I'm anxious to get one that's quiet and has a little more low end but with a potential to get up to a decent speed, that's what the shift kit would be nice for more range. Firebelly has a nice looking transmission but I want to compare and decide between it and the 4g.

What do you mean "more range" Glacknoid? My Mark2 Grubee goes 280 kms between fuel stops. How will a jackshaft & gears improve your range?

IrishJohn: No, not mpg, I meant range pertaining to the gears, low end for steep starts and high for more speed on the flats without haveing the motor wound up all the way.

Back