Grubee Gearbox- running "wet"

That's very useful to know HoughMade - 1/3 way up the gear wheel is more than adequate to get it splashing all over so a bit less would be good too.
I've sealed my Grubee with silicon gasket sealant and I'm hoping that keeps the gunk inside the box. Just ridden 55kms but couldn't tell if the GB leaked or not cos it was bucketing rain the entire trip. The GB ran really smooth but it was pretty good before. It's a bit quieter now and certainly not noisy in any way. The rain hurts my eyballs at 30 mph and the only alternative is to get wipers on my specs cos I couldn't see with them on. At least we don't get snow and sleet like some of you guys over there. You probably put chains on your bike tyres in winter!
Those Hoot GBs still seem to be very flawed from what I'm reading.

Glad to hear it is working well so far.

I am putting it back together tonight. I will start with 3 ounces and see if it needs more. I want to start lower because the gears are getting more lube than they really need, I would guess, and I get a drip or two leaking out around the output shaft. It isn't much as it is only about 2 drops over night, but if I can have the oil level below the shaft, that should help.

Houghmade, would you mind outlining where you got the following from?

Honda Engine (the GXH50QXA, correct?)
Grubee Gearbox
Mounting kit

Did you have to make any mods to get the Honda engine to work with the gearbox?

btw, nice job with your bike, it's a masterpiece.

Glad to hear it is working well so far.

I am putting it back together tonight. I will start with 3 ounces and see if it needs more. I want to start lower because the gears are getting more lube than they really need, I would guess, and I get a drip or two leaking out around the output shaft. It isn't much as it is only about 2 drops over night, but if I can have the oil level below the shaft, that should help.

My 4 fluid oz of gear lube & engine honey doesn't seem to leak at all from the GB. I'll know tomorrow if it's a dry day cos I'll be going for a big spin. Today I put the 56T sprocket back on and spent hours setting it up nicely using axle spacers to get the chain to clear the tyre and chain stay. It's a slow job getting it all perfect so the wheel spins when I blow on the tyre. Took me all day cos I clean everything and put a nice coat of lanolin on the chrome and stainless steel parts. Went for a spin in the dark just now and the bike pulls up hills with much less pedalling. I'm beginning to see why they supply the Grubee kit with a 56T cos it actually needs it. Couldn't see the speedo in the dark but the top speed is probably down and the engine revs are definitely up but the clutch will be happier for that. If I can't make it hit 30mph / 48 km/hr tomorrow on the flat I will just start getting used to a slower journey time. The bike couldn't be better set up. The GB makes a different noise with the 50/50 treacle lubricant - a sort of swish - swoosh (sounds similar to swinging a bull roarer around your head) and not quite as quiet as the lithium grease but that is probably cos the GB was packed full of grease and that acts as a pretty good sound insulator.
All I need now is a good springer fork for my 2007 Schwinn Alloy Seven cruiser and I'll be happy. Sadly I can't get one anywhere - it's a 1&1/8'' head tube by 7" and threaded. Schwinn don't import them here and I don't want one those Chinese crud ones made to kill people. I was so excited at winning a bid on Ebay for a Chicago made old style Schwinn springer still new in its box but it's a 1" and too short as well so I've reneged on the deal.
Anyway I'll just have to start the Tour de France in 2 weeks with my rigid forks and those cobblestones in the old French towns are going to hurt! The organisers objected at first to my having a piston on my bike but they relented when I pointed out that all the other riders have pistons in their syringes! I think it's past my bedtime now.

Grubee Gearbox
Mounting kit

Thank you:

Honda engine- http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com...+Horizontal+5+8+x+1+1+4+Shaft+Muffler+no+tank

I bought the Grubee gearbox and mounting kit together last year (August)- I just looked and I paid $254 including shipping. Here's the problem- I bought from a vendor which many around here do not trust and based upon their accounts, with reason. He dealt fairly with me in that I got what I paid for, but it was very slow coming. It is sort of a moot point because I do not believe he has any kits in stock. I don't know who does, but I have heard stories about short stocks until late July.

With the Honda engine noted above, there were no shaft modifications, it bolted right up. The only modification I did (other than cosmetics) was to eliminate the governor and make my own throttle linkage- but those things are strictly optional. However, if you are interested, here are links.

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8310

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8313

My 4 fluid oz of gear lube & engine honey doesn't seem to leak at all from the GB. I'll know tomorrow if it's a dry day cos I'll be going for a big spin. Today I put the 56T sprocket back on and spent hours setting it up nicely using axle spacers to get the chain to clear the tyre and chain stay. It's a slow job getting it all perfect so the wheel spins when I blow on the tyre. Took me all day cos I clean everything and put a nice coat of lanolin on the chrome and stainless steel parts. Went for a spin in the dark just now and the bike pulls up hills with much less pedalling. I'm beginning to see why they supply the Grubee kit with a 56T cos it actually needs it. Couldn't see the speedo in the dark but the top speed is probably down and the engine revs are definitely up but the clutch will be happier for that. If I can't make it hit 30mph / 48 km/hr tomorrow on the flat I will just start getting used to a slower journey time. The bike couldn't be better set up. The GB makes a different noise with the 50/50 treacle lubricant - a sort of swish - swoosh (sounds similar to swinging a bull roarer around your head) and not quite as quiet as the lithium grease but that is probably cos the GB was packed full of grease and that acts as a pretty good sound insulator.
All I need now is a good springer fork for my 2007 Schwinn Alloy Seven cruiser and I'll be happy. Sadly I can't get one anywhere - it's a 1&1/8'' head tube by 7" and threaded. Schwinn don't import them here and I don't want one those Chinese crud ones made to kill people. I was so excited at winning a bid on Ebay for a Chicago made old style Schwinn springer still new in its box but it's a 1" and too short as well so I've reneged on the deal.
Anyway I'll just have to start the Tour de France in 2 weeks with my rigid forks and those cobblestones in the old French towns are going to hurt! The organisers objected at first to my having a piston on my bike but they relented when I pointed out that all the other riders have pistons in their syringes! I think it's past my bedtime now.

I got everything buttoned up for now and road this morning...better than ever. I resealed the box- no leaks. I had removed the sprocket to service the hub and remount the sprocket as it had a little wobble. I had thought I had tighted it unevenly, turns out the sprocket it self was slightly tweaked. Wit the help of a straight edge, vise and pry bar- took the tweak out. After repacking the hub and bearing and fashioning a rubber gasket to seal the dust cap on where I ground off the edge to clear the sprocket hole, I put it all back together and everything runs straight and true- my rear wheel spins free, but will never be as free as your wheel because of the coaster brake.

I am sticking with the 48 tooth for now, but I will say this- the engine now really seems to love to run at a higher rpm - at 25 mph, it runs fine, but it really, really, wants to run faster. As I am dealing with few hills, thinking about just bumping up slightly to a 50. I wish I knew someone who had experience with a 52.

As for the Tour- sounds like a good argument- hope you look good in yellow.

I haven't seriously gotten started on my build. I have a Schwinn Searcher and have been grinding out the aluminum mount end piece to fit the large front tube. I am still searching for a wide three piece crank. The one with the kit is one piece and my lower bracket is only 1.5" in diameter. It takes a 2" one. Still worth it as the bike has a springer fork and I can add a springer seat post. Being a 7 speed there is no problem with the front derailer and it's cable / grip.

The engine came from Small Engine Warehouse for $210 plus $18 shipping.
It comes without the tank, but they include a hockey puck fuel pump that would be necessary for a rear mount. The pump gets it's power from the crank case breather tube which pulls the fuel in and up to the carb. Neat, but don't need it with the top tube mounted tank. Will replace all the bolts and nuts that came with the kit as the China stuff is junk.

The Grubee mount and gear box came from Five Flags in FL. It was $200 shipping allowed. Don't know if Frank still has that deal, but it was the best I could find and he does business like a regular business. Not like many on eBay.

The box is on the engine and I don't see any problem with the fit. I will tap the cover on top and bottom for the 250 weight gear lube. If there is anything I don't like about running the gear lube I will go to the 50/50 mix of regular gear lube and STP / Motor Honey.

Hope you find your stuff and get on the road soon. We have canals with bike paths running through Phoenix & Glendale so you can travel many miles off the streets. Some major streets even have underpasses for bikes and runners.

Jim

Grubee Gearbox
Mounting kit

jimraysr:
Could u post more details about this fuel pump please(including pics) cos a number of ppl would be interested......any idea how it performs?

May be able to take a picture later, but can't just now. The pump comes in a plastic bag attached to the engine. It is around 2" in diameter and one inch thick. It has two fuel line barbs for around 3/8" tubing and one vacuum connection to go up to the tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner. There is a air inlet on the side of the pump around 3/8" in diameter with a bronze sintered filter. So each time the piston comes down the fumes from the crancase go out to the air cleaner to be burned. When the piston goes up it draws in air from air cleaner and fuel pump. Obviously there is a diaphragm in the pump wt.a couple of check valves and maybe a return spring for the diaphragm.

Guess they must work or Honda wouldn't supply them. Can't see where I will ever know as my system will be gravity. Hope this helps

BTW that is the way the China engines for rear mount work that have the fuel pump carbs. The diaphragm is built into the carb and it uses engine vacuum to operate. My Uncle Glenn invented the system 40 plus years ago. He needed a small engine driven generator for surveying the coal fields in IL. Olson and Rice scaled up one of their model airplane engines and he patanted the all angle carburetor like every weed eater has on it today. I am not as smart as my uncle was, but can brag for him. ). Jim

Last edited:
May be able to take a picture later, but can't just now. The pump comes in a plastic bag attached to the engine. It is around 2" in diameter and one inch thick. It has two fuel line barbs for around 3/8" tubing and one vacuum connection to go up to the tube from the crankcase to the air cleaner. There is a air inlet on the side of the pump around 3/8" in diameter with a bronze sintered filter. So each time the piston comes down the fumes from the crancase go out to the air cleaner to be burned. When the piston goes up it draws in air from air cleaner and fuel pump. Obviously there is a diaphragm in the pump wt.a couple of check valves and maybe a return spring for the diaphragm.

Guess they must work or Honda wouldn't supply them. Can't see where I will ever know as my system will be gravity. Hope this helps

BTW that is the way the China engines for rear mount work that have the fuel pump carbs. The diaphragm is built into the carb and it uses engine vacuum to operate. My Uncle Glenn invented the system 40 plus years ago. He needed a small engine driven generator for surveying the coal fields in IL. Olson and Rice scaled up one of their model airplane engines and he patanted the all angle carburetor like every weed eater has on it today. I am not as smart as my uncle was, but can brag for him. ). Jim

Good background info,thanks & if u ever get around to it please post pics.
For other ppl that are intertested see also:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=11683

Back