Grubee Gearbox- running "wet"

Just a thought-The bolt holding on your clutch wouldn't by chance be rubbing against the cover of your GB would it? This happened to me with a JL Hoot figure eight GB and the cover got very hot. I had to grind down the head of the bolt to get more clearance.

No I got the new kit with the replacement bolt in it. It's a tight fit but there is a microscopic clearance between the bolt head & the inside of the casing.
I checked it with coloured chalk when I first assembled it. I don't think that even a rubbing bolt head could generate the sort of heat I experienced with that clutch slip but it's a valid suggestion alright and I'd forgotten about that problem Butch. Maybe the oil was such an effective trasferer of heat that the clutch wasn't hot enough to grip the bell housing. Maybe with the grease the heat all went into the clutch and it gripped better but I doubt it.

I won't restate it all here, but in the public interest, please ignore my advice to run the the Grubee gearbox wet- don't do it. No catastrophic failures, but over time, it does not work well.

See my posts here:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12759&page=3

50+ miles on grease so far- still quite enough, only enough slippage to engage smoothly and the housing barely gets warm- even on a 20 mile non-stop trip.

Ignore everything I ever said about running wet.

It must be my age. In reading both of your posts from today it looks like one says it works and the other says don't do it?

Can you set me straight? Thanks

Jim

@jim:
Ppl who have tried this on a practical basis have come to the sad conclusion that it DOES NOT WORK(not in the long term anyway).............grease it man.

It must be my age. In reading both of your posts from today it looks like one says it works and the other says don't do it?

Can you set me straight? Thanks

Jim

Use GREASE grease is not running the gearbox "wet".

Using a liquid like gearlube, gearlube/stop leak, oil, or auto trans fluid is running wet.

Grease works (a lot of grease...and I mean a lot- sticky, stringy marine grease).

Running with some sort of liquid oil seems to work initially, but over time, there is more slippage which leads to a lot more heat- not good.

Back to the amount of grease- I used over 1/2 of a standard 14 ounce tube. Not a little filling up each tooth. That will be slung off quickly (tried that too). As the gears spin, they will sling off the grease, but if you have enough in there, the grease will be slung off, but other grease displaced by the slinging grease will get on the gears and keep them lubed....or that's the theory.

More Greese Is Not Wet!

Got it. I had related that much greese as running wet. I understand your point now. Da! I used to be a lot smarter when I was a red head. Blonds really are mentally handicapped. )

I currently am running white lithium, but not in the the quantity you are.
It might be helpful to know the brand and name of the marine geese you are using.

Jim

Green Grease

Green Grease is available here in the Phoenix area from Auto Zone. Closest Tractor Supply I think is in TX. I am jealous. )

The lithium is good, but I think the stringy stuff sounds like a better match for the application.

We will see?

Jim

Back