Grubee GTA frame rear disc brake addapter type?

d72hemi

Local time
4:02 PM
I started assembly of my Grubee GTA frame and HD 180mm disc brake wheel from bicycle-engines.com, but I cannot figure out which adapter to mount the rear disc brake caliper on. I did buy a Shimano 180mm P/S adapter but that did not even come close. I tried a couple of adapter I have laying around but they angle the caliper so that the pads do not make full contact with the rotor. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• WP_20170707_21_35_03_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20170707_21_35_03_Pro[1].jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 294
Am I being a noob and asking the wrong question or just asking the question incorrectly? There are a number of very knowledgeable people here so I don't think that is the problem. If it is me, I am happy to follow the customs and courtesies of the forum, I just need some direction.

I think a lot of times the pads never sit true to the rotor. I haven't got around to installing calipers since I don't have the calipers yet. Havent even got my rear wheel back from the bike shop yet. I hope to be able to make mine work and get it square to the rotor as I am picky and being off like that will bug me just like my slightly cocked brass fitting in my fuel tank. Wish they didn't use aluminum threaded bungs that is the most insane thing to use.

I started assembly of my Grubee GTA frame and HD 180mm disc brake wheel from bicycle-engines.com, but I cannot figure out which adapter to mount the rear disc brake caliper on. I did buy a Shimano 180mm P/S adapter but that did not even come close. I tried a couple of adapter I have laying around but they angle the caliper so that the pads do not make full contact with the rotor. Any help is appreciated.
So firstly I see that your chain is not yet installed and the axle is all the way forward to the end of the dropout you may want to put that on and see where the axle really will end up!Next most people use a 203mm rotor on those especaily if using a gear larger than a 30t to allow clearence between the bottom of caliper and the top of the chain on the gear!If your wheel was back about a 1/2" or so the corresponding mounting arm for caliper and the rotor on there now would work just fine!It's only issue would be clearing the chain on the sprocket.

I think a lot of times the pads never sit true to the rotor. I haven't got around to installing calipers since I don't have the calipers yet. Havent even got my rear wheel back from the bike shop yet. I hope to be able to make mine work and get it square to the rotor as I am picky and being off like that will bug me just like my slightly cocked brass fitting in my fuel tank. Wish they didn't use aluminum threaded bungs that is the most insane thing to use.
They sure do! And if they dont you will hate disc breaks because you will have to adjust them after every use!When mounting the caliper there are cone and cup washers on each mounting bolt or some use a barrel shaped washer with a cradle etheir way it allows for exact alignment of the caliper and pads to be perpendicular to the rotor!

They sure do! And if they dont you will hate disc breaks because you will have to adjust them after every use!When mounting the caliper there are cone and cup washers on each mounting bolt or some use a barrel shaped washer with a cradle etheir way it allows for exact alignment of the caliper and pads to be perpendicular to the rotor!

I saw the washers and cones on the caliper and mount and was wondering if that was for adjustment. Couldn't really find much on the calipers I was looking at getting on youtube to see how they are installed.

Thanks guys. I got the shims and now everything lines up. I have 5/8" between the caliper and and the rear sprocket so I should have enough room. Unfortunately the GTA frame is much longer than my old mountain bike frame so the chain is 6"-8" short. Once the new #41 chain comes in I will finish mocking it up.

Thanks guys. I got the shims and now everything lines up. I have 5/8" between the caliper and and the rear sprocket so I should have enough room. Unfortunately the GTA frame is much longer than my old mountain bike frame so the chain is 6"-8" short. Once the new #41 chain comes in I will finish mocking it up.

Yep the GTA frames are considerably different. I screwed up and purchased the 150mm drop out since I didn't know better. I find myself having to use more spacers than I otherwise would have with the 135mm drop out.

Yep the GTA frames are considerably different. I screwed up and purchased the 150mm drop out since I didn't know better. I find myself having to use more spacers than I otherwise would have with the 135mm drop out.

I got the 150mm drop out as well because they were out of 135s and I did not want to wait. I got their 150mm HD wheel with the sprocket and disc rotor on the left and a cassette on the right. It is an ok quality wheel, but with hindsight being 20/20 I should have spent a few more bucks and got the jack shaft I really want.

I got the 150mm drop out as well because they were out of 135s and I did not want to wait. I got their 150mm HD wheel with the sprocket and disc rotor on the left and a cassette on the right. It is an ok quality wheel, but with hindsight being 20/20 I should have spent a few more bucks and got the jack shaft I really want.

I got the 61mm HD axle from grubee which diagrams listed as for single speed 150mm drop out frames in the diagram. Thing is i have to use 17mm worth of spacers on each side to center the axle in my frame. This will require me to shim my brake rotor or simply shim the caliper mount.

It also forces me to shim out the tensioner pully to get it to line up with the chain.

Nothing that cant be done, just been easier for me with a 135mm drop out.

Back