GT LTS 4000

Well since someone wanted my Kokomo more than I did I am now building a 1998 GT LTS 4000 full suspension mountain bike I put high-rise handlebars on it I also put a comfortable seat on it I had to change the rear wheel so I could mount an adapter and a sprocket on the wheel original wheel would not work

IMG_20190716_203618.jpg

Well since someone wanted my Kokomo more than I did I am now building a 1998 GT LTS 4000 full suspension mountain bike I put high-rise handlebars on it I also put a comfortable seat on it I had to change the rear wheel so I could mount an adapter and a sprocket on the wheel original wheel would not work
first off. f***in love it. Second off SBP jack shaft. great choice on a full suspension, but the center radius of travel has to be between the output and the hub. Slightly off and chain tension is a f***ing nightmare.

Would a Derailleur work for tensioning the chain on a setup like that. Just need to figure the mounting of it.

Would a Derailleur work for tensioning the chain on a setup like that. Just need to figure the mounting of it.
A derailleur won't allow the engine to be bump started.

I experimented with Shimano's Shadow Plus system (basically a ratcheting band brake on a spring tensioner) and it showed some promise, but it proved to be too small and weak, and the derailleur needs to be pared down to only the tensioning parts to eliminate the flex in the parallelogram.
View media item 61351

To use this on a GT LTS /similar, it would need the engine output sprocket to be at about the same height as the top of the chainring as the suspension design is made to keep the pedal chain under constant tension throughout the suspension travel.

In short, it's going to be easier to save up your pennies until you can buy the SBP Shift Kit, and then you'll have a shifter too. :)

I wish I had $239 extra, I would purchase a sbp heavy duty shift kit, but for now I mounted a swing arm tensioner, to keep the chain from rubbing the swing arm , and a motor mounted spring loaded tensioner to keep tension on the chain when riding on rough roads . So far it's working good

I wish I had $239 extra, I would purchase a sbp heavy duty shift kit, but for now I mounted a swing arm tensioner, to keep the chain from rubbing the swing arm , and a motor mounted spring loaded tensioner to keep tension on the chain when riding on rough roads . So far it's working good

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_004307.jpg
    IMG_20190720_004307.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 287
Back